CURRENT-SOUNDING (sparse) RAP/HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTAL -- ears needed!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

CURRENT-SOUNDING (sparse) RAP/HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTAL -- ears needed!

Post by CTWF » Fri May 31, 2019 2:32 pm

Hello everyone. Below is my idea for that current listing.

Ballpark?
Sparse/minimal enough?
Speaker-knocking?
Super current sounds and production techniques?
Too trap-leaning?
Major issues?

Tom

[SoundCloud link removed]

LISTING
CURRENT-SOUNDING RAP/HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a hard-working, successful Music Licensing Company.

They’re searching for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general wheelhouse of the following references we got directly from them.

“Big Bank” (instrumental) by YG ft. 2 Chainz, Big Sean, Nicki Minaj
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss6ebQ0ICh4

“The Light” (intrumental) by Ty Dolla $ign & Jeremih
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4PWC4GWWQ

“Twerk” (instrumental) by City Girls ft Cardi B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtVKYl_5cQ8

Please send them sparse, well-crafted Rap/Hip-Hop Instrumentals that utilize a minimal number of elements, but still capture a speaker-knocking vibe. Your production should be modern and up-to-date, with super current sounds and production techniques. Trap-leaning production can work for this request.

Your submissions should be 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will probably work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Also, do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Copyright.

Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs! Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - Short Critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Friday, June 14th, 2019. TAXI #Y190614HH
Last edited by CTWF on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Sparse Rap/Hip-Hop Instrumental

Post by CTWF » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:32 am

One more thing: The form is ABAB (kind of). Does the B part fit in? Is it too much variation? Tom

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Help! :-) Sparse Rap/Hip-Hop Instrumental

Post by CTWF » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:17 am

Really keen on some feedback for this one! No one biting/working on the same listing yet?

:) Tom

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: CURRENT-SOUNDING (sparse) RAP/HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTAL -- ears needed!

Post by MathieuF » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:11 pm

The groove is a little odd, in hip-hop you really need a strong and obvious "2 and 4" :) I don't seem to feel that groove in your track...but the sounds are cool !
Mathieu Fiset - Keyboardist / Drummer / Composer
https://mathieufiset.bandcamp.com/

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:14 am

MathieuF wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:11 pm
The groove is a little odd, in hip-hop you really need a strong and obvious "2 and 4" :) I don't seem to feel that groove in your track...but the sounds are cool !
Hi Mathieu

Thanks a lot for listening! Good to hear that you think there are cool sounds, but obviously your grove comment concerned me. I try to be on the trap side of things and therefore always had snares/claps programmed on 3. Listening to it again, it felt as if they were on 1. My guess is, that is what caused it to feel odd. I have now shifted the percussion by two beats, and would be curious to know if it feels less odd (version 2 posted below). The shift also caused the subbass to be on the 4 (the 2 I neglect a little...).

Thanks again,
Tom

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MathieuF » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 am

Oh yeah ! Now it's grooving :D Good job ;)
Mathieu Fiset - Keyboardist / Drummer / Composer
https://mathieufiset.bandcamp.com/

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 am

MathieuF wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 am
Oh yeah ! Now it's grooving :D Good job ;)
Thanks for listening again!

Lesson learned: Programming a 3 does not necessarily mean you have one... :)

Tom

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Here is the (a?) newest version. I simplified the hihats and made sure there is more often a beat on 2, as well. My wife still thinks that the B section (of ABAB) with the noisepad possibly is too busy (or too different).

Any comments are welcome!

Tom

ResonantTone
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ResonantTone » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:39 pm

Hey Tom!

Here's some quick thoughts as I listened through:

- I'd definitely rework the B section so that it doesn't contrast the A as much. You probably don't want to be changing up your bass sound for continuity's sake.
- Dynamically, I think the track lacks some cohesion that you'd normally here in a track like the references. The listener needs to really know exactly where the groove is right off the bat. I think you might be able to attain that by giving a bass hit right at the first downbeat to establish where the groove sits.
- Using the really fast 808 hits like you did at 52seconds doesn't work to my ears. I'd save that type of effect for the snare.

Something you may try in approaching these is this sort of workflow 1. Establish a minimal but very tangible groove right from the get go. 2. After 4 or 8 bars, add some more energy using your pre-existing instrumentation, but don't change what you've already established in your first groove! Just add to it. (ie. more hihat hats to fill in around where it was to start, an extra snare/808 here or there). 3. Drop it down to something the listener hasn't heard before with some combo of all your current instrumentation and maybe something new. 4. Bring all the energy back up and take it even beyond where it was in 2 section.

Hope that helps a little! Keep at it man, you're gonna get this if you stick with it! :)

Andrew

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:50 am

ResonantTone wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:39 pm
Hey Tom!
Hi Andrew - all very good points! I will work on it as soon as possible. Thanks a lot, Tom.