Submission/Forward/Deal Statistics

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Submission/Forward/Deal Statistics

Post by ttully » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Hey Andrew,

I wouldn't feel too bad about getting a few returns....
I just counted all of mine.... 839 so far.... you got a long way to go to catch me!!!

My 839 cents,
Tim

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 am

ttully wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:20 pm
I just counted all of mine.... 839 so far.... you got a long way to go to catch me!!!
CTWF is gonna get you,
CTWF is gonna get you,
CTWF is gonna get you hrroooo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZkjeJKBI0M

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:44 am

HEY Tom,

Ha...good one!!!! :lol:

As you can see...I did pretty much everything wrong that was possible....
Along the way, I even invented a few new ways to write bad stuff!

Tim

ResonantTone
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ResonantTone » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Tim,

Man, if I can get half the determination you have had in this game, I think I'm in a good spot. The more I read and listen to those that have done this successfully, the more I understand that having that kind of determination and perseverance far outweighs the actual numbers and ratios I originally posted about.

Andrew

cdl

Post by cdl » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi Andrew,

Since joining two years ago on April 17, 2019 I've had 304 forwards as of today, April 5, 2019, but sadly, no deals. Since I write instrumental music in a variety of genre's, I'm going to start breaking down my forward percentage for each style of music and overall. Mr. Laskow did call me several months ago, and was bewildered as to my initial lack of success, but brought up some valid points, which I'm in total agreement with. Since most of my forwards are in the Tension, New Age, Piano, Ambient, Sci-fi, and Drone categories, he suggested that I might get quicker results if I expand my writing to also include the Urban and Hip Hop genres, which seem to be placed quicker by those listing companies.

Other Taxi member's might weigh in, but it seems to me that the music I write (as mentioned above) is being done by tens of thousands of other talented musicians from around the world. As a result, music libraries are flooded by great material, resulting in some music taking years to be discovered, and fewer publishing agreements offered. I do think that those of you who are gifted at writing vocal tunes, orchestral pieces, current Pop, EDM, Dance, Hip Hop, Rap, etc. will have greater initial success than I have. My musical path is a much longer one, but we all should continue to write not because it is a job, but because it is our oxygen, which keeps us alive!

Blessings to all,

CDL

jaywilliams
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jaywilliams » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:43 pm

Andrew thanks for starting this thread, it's an interesting read so far.

I understand the general futility of trying to compare yourself to someone else, BUT if there was one set of data I would like to see, it's a simple Finished Track - vs - Placement ratio, cutting out the steps in the middle.

For example: I wrote 300 tracks before I got my first Placement, something like that.

Everyone comes to this with a different skill set and experience level, but from what little I know and understand about this business so far it takes a LOT of output to lead to any money in your pocket.

With that in mind it seems the required Work Ethic or Productivity is what causes most folks to drop out.

Creating the tracks is the first step
Submitting the tracks to listings (or directly to libraries) the second step
Improving your craft is the third step

Producing 100+ tracks per year is going to be far more important for my future Mailbox Money than the number of tracks I submit to listings, I think.

Without the productivity ain't nothing gonna happen, so that's where my focus is for now.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Best of luck!

Jay :)
see you at the top!

James Hagarty dba Jay Williams Productions
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:11 pm

cdl wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:59 pm
[...]
Since joining two years ago on April 17, 2019 I've had 304 forwards as of today, April 5, 2019, but sadly, no deals. [...] Since most of my forwards are in the Tension, New Age, Piano, Ambient, Sci-fi, and Drone categories, he suggested that I might get quicker results if I expand my writing to also include the Urban and Hip Hop genres, which seem to be placed quicker by those listing companies. [...]
Hi CDL, even if good reasons have been identified, these statistics still are a little discouraging!

But it is good to know that the reason for the lack of contracts is not that your last name starts with a "Z", or, say, all your track titles start with "Zz...", or, say, you always submitted at 11:59:59. Because if a library gets, say, 200 forwards, they look at this in a certain order (in which they might get it), I suppose, and if that order was always the same and you were always at the bottom for some reason, you can imagine the results. Tom

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:43 pm

ResonantTone wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:41 pm
...The more I read and listen to those that have done this successfully, the more I understand that having that kind of determination and perseverance far outweighs the actual numbers and ratios I originally posted about.

Andrew
YES. From what I've learned, seen, heard, etc.. The most successful people in this industry are the ones who stick it out the longest and work the hardest. SOOO many amazing producers/composers never make this happen simply because they quit too soon. As you know, it takes time. It's a marathon, not a sprint. There are definitely going to be discouraging times, trust me. I'm just coming out of a little bit of a funk of discouragement myself, it's been a tough winter - it happens to ALL of us. The point is you don't give up and you keep on keepin on. It's part of the journey. Just keep moving forward and focusing on what you can do to keep improving your craft and have a lot of fun along the way.

ChrisW
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ChrisW » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:38 am

This is a great thread - thanks to all who contributed.

Regards
Chris

Paulkrieg

Post by Paulkrieg » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Great thread!

My stats after 3 months are:
34 songs submitted
9 forwards
3 deals
0 placements.

Keep it rockin y’all!