TAXI #S061031RB

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

h2000

TAXI #S061031RB

Post by h2000 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:32 am

Does anyone know anything more about the type of label that is in this listing? It describes a "independant label" which specializes in film/TV placements, but does not distribute your CDs. To me it sounds like a music library, not a label. If it were a label that signed an artist, then they would generally put up money to make a record (or buy it out) and they would own and control the masters. So, what makes this a label and not a music library? It sounds like they want artists with completed records already. What kind of contractual relationship is this? I'm confused.(I'm interested for a singer that I have been writing with and producing. But, without understanding this deal it's hard to say if it's the right thing for her).

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: TAXI #S061031RB

Post by matto » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:06 am

Hi h2000,I think you're getting WAAAYYY ahead of yourself. First, you have to get forwarded. Next, the company has to be interested. Only if both of those things happen (and those are two BIG if's) would it even matter what kind of a deal it is.In the "worst case scenario", meaning if the deal isn't for the artist, you would still have made a connection in the music industry which you might be able to exploit somewhere down the road...I say submit, what do you have to lose?matto

h2000

Post by h2000 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:03 pm

Thanks for the reply Matto.I fully understand and agree with everything you are saying - it's basically verbatim what I told the artist. But, it's just my curiousity of what kind of business this is since I never have heard of such a thing.Does anyone else know anything more about this type of label?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:51 pm

I would email or call Clint at Taxi, he maybe able to tell you more.Ultimately, if they wanna call themselves a label, they can . Seriously though, a music library typically just represents songs and tracks, not artists. Maybe that's where the difference lies.

h2000

Post by h2000 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:53 pm

Quote:I would email or call Clint at Taxi, he maybe able to tell you more.Thanks for the tip. It's not really that big a deal, but maybe I will.Quote:Ultimately, if they wanna call themselves a label, they can . Seriously though, a music library typically just represents songs and tracks, not artists. Maybe that's where the difference lies.I guess you could be right. The term "label" could just be a label Good points regarding the differences. I think of labels in the traditional sense - advances and promotion in trade for ownership of the masters. So, of course I'm very curious to see what other business models are out there and how they work.