The Dream is Over...new mix

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

opensky
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Lancaster, California
Contact:

The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by opensky » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:46 pm

After digesting everyone's comments on the original (The dream is over (Supper's Ready), I decided to do a whole new remix and did some additional tracking. To differentiate it, I've entitled it "The Dream is Over..." I've taken out the "Supper's Ready" as many people have suggested (to not be confused with the Genesis song). I've left the original version (vinyl intro) in case you want to compare with the new. Let me know what you think. I greatly appreciate everyone lending me their ears on the original. http://soundclick.com/open The Dream is Over...

johnhampt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 am
Contact:

Re: The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by johnhampt » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:05 pm

Boy! That song was intense. I don't know what to think. I don't know what your looking to do with it. One thing that I think would be cool and in the now would be to pitch fix the lead VOX. Not necessarily because it is sung off key but it will give it a modern feel. The opening voice didn't really fit in my opinion. Sorry I can't help you more...

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1308
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:05 am
Contact:

Re: The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by geo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:34 am

Hi ho Geo here, like the vibe of this track, Lenny K. (vocal feel)meets Pink F. (music) Two small points:It feels like it might be a touch slow, but then again the speed also adds to the "spacey" feel, so don't lose to much sleep over it and,The mix sounds a little cluttered at times (especially at the end) but a solution might be to EQ the drums with a little more bottom end and raise the bass a smidge (though as a bass player I'm bias here ). A little more low end defination might might also take away the "slow feel" (and a remix is faster than a rerecord ) . Are you submitting as a band or just songs? Just curious. Good job and good luck... Geo

opensky
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Lancaster, California
Contact:

Re: The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by opensky » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:52 pm

Quote:Boy! That song was intense. I don't know what to think. I don't know what your looking to do with it. One thing that I think would be cool and in the now would be to pitch fix the lead VOX. Not necessarily because it is sung off key but it will give it a modern feel. The opening voice didn't really fit in my opinion. Sorry I can't help you more...Thanks. I like your reaction, "intense, I don't know what to think." That's kind of what i was going for. I know (and have done) a lot of "commercial' music. This is not easy listening and I believe there is a niche market for it. But most importantly, I'm doing what I want and the freedom is therapeutic.

rick
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:39 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by rick » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:35 pm

This version is much more cohesive without losing any of its drive or creativity.I was immediately drawn into the flow of this mix and it never let up.Although I really liked the first version I love this version.This sounds like what the Beatles would sound like if they were recording today and I mean that sincerely.Do you have your own band?Just curious

opensky
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Lancaster, California
Contact:

Re: The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by opensky » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:53 pm

Quote:Hi ho Geo here, like the vibe of this track, Lenny K. (vocal feel)meets Pink F. (music) Two small points:It feels like it might be a touch slow, but then again the speed also adds to the "spacey" feel, so don't lose to much sleep over it and,The mix sounds a little cluttered at times (especially at the end) but a solution might be to EQ the drums with a little more bottom end and raise the bass a smidge (though as a bass player I'm bias here ). A little more low end defination might might also take away the "slow feel" (and a remix is faster than a rerecord ) . Are you submitting as a band or just songs? Just curious. Good job and good luck... GeoThanks Geo for the helpful hints and suggestions. I submit both ways depending on who I'm submitting for. I'm essentially a guy who would love to do it all but can't sing a lick. So I have a friend, Matt Switalski who has been singing for me for the past 3 years and now we've evolved into a studio group in the sense of an identity. I've always been partial to groups vs solo artists so I've attatched a band name to my work.

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1308
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:05 am
Contact:

Re: The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by geo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:14 am

Dude, I'm in the same boat (can't sing, but got friends helping out, band name, no band ) and arthritis in the hands from 25 years in the kitchen so I can't even do the guitar stuff anymore, stuck with programming, but you know the deal, if it's in you, you gotta get it out somehow. Like the tune a lot, I'll keep an eye out for you on the boards...geo

opensky
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Lancaster, California
Contact:

Re: The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by opensky » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:00 am

Quote:This version is much more cohesive without losing any of its drive or creativity.I was immediately drawn into the flow of this mix and it never let up.Although I really liked the first version I love this version.This sounds like what the Beatles would sound like if they were recording today and I mean that sincerely.Do you have your own band?Just curiousThank you, thank you, thank you! You really made my day regarding the comment of the Beatles. Now that you like this mix better, I just uploaded a mix with a new intro. I think it'smore consistant with the theme and outro. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

idosomedamage
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:54 am
Gender: Female
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by idosomedamage » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:56 pm

that's a really cool track. i like the new one better.

opensky
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Lancaster, California
Contact:

Re: The Dream is Over...new mix

Post by opensky » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:13 pm

Quote:that's a really cool track. i like the new one better.Thanks!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests