The Mic Thing or...things that make you go "shhh"

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

The Mic Thing or...things that make you go "shhh"

Post by silvercord » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:25 am

i picked this up (at a higher price since its imported) at thebig music mall in Seoulits the "mic thing" by sm pro audioits helped me (along with a gate/compressor by t.c. electronic)to keep my signal nice and thick without all that record-in-your-apartment-while-you-say-its-your-"studio"-apartment-noiseits good for the people next door...im sure they go crazy hearingme record 30 takes for each phrase heheh..im not allowed to put anything on the walls, so this thing isportable(well kind of;) so i can pack it up in a jiffy if i need to relocate..im curious what you all use to tame down wild reflections: )(most probably a GOOD studio hehe) but i have found thereare ways to fake it till you make it: ) peacegeoff

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: The Mic Thing or...things that make you go "sh

Post by aimusic » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:38 am

GEOFF!!!!This looks like the kind of thing I need - BIG TIME!!!!Has it helped you keep the signal clean-er? I tell you why, the amount of hiss ect I'm picking up is killing me... slowly... with it's song - er I mean hiss.Take careB

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:42 am

Hey B..yes for sure...with the help of a gate that i mentionedthe mic thing really sucks up all that nasty non-studio room reflection. actually the mic thing comes with attachable metal mesh screens that you put over the sound dampining material to help reflect alittle sound just in case (as the site put) "the mic thing words too well" hehi a/b'd it with other voice recordings and its just day and nightthe old mixes, i used noise reduction and using n.r. just KILLEDthe higher end e.q. and made it sound ..just.......terrible..now i get a nice thick and sweet tonei guess it can be used in tons of applications..havent tried itwith recording an acoustic guitar(yet) but i soon will try~

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:03 am

Nice piece o' kit Geoff!

che
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by che » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:07 am

hmmmm,my husband saw something like this when we bought our new mic and wanted to get one. My son talked him out of it for now because we needed other thingsfor the "studio". I will direct him to this thread. He will probably want to get one again. Our new mic is Sooooooo sensitive compared to what we had, and this might make it sound even better. Thanks for sharing.

diogenes
Impressive
Impressive

Post by diogenes » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:47 am

If your picking up a lot of hiss I dont think room acoustics is your problem. Hiss is more of a sibilant singer sort of problem or perhaps try a different mic with less sensitivity in the high end. If you have a good eq, set up a cut of 12db or so and starting at 20khz sweep down until the hiss is gone then let up on the cut a little, but be careful you don't want to lose all your high end. You could also try a de-esser. If this is not what your talking about just pretend I'm not here. And don't forget a pop filter.

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:37 pm

I think one of those "things" are going to have to go on my short-list also. Mmmmm, just going to have to figure out what I can sell . . .

gatorjj
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gatorjj » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:36 pm

"Fake it 'til you make it" <--------Now why didn't I think of that? I'm using the SE Reflexion and think it makes a big difference. I think SE was first out of the gate (only thing like it I found when I bought it), but I expect all these type things make a positive impact on micing in those "not so fresh" places. Heck I even used to put my head in it while mixing before I sprung for acoustic treatment
J.J. Falkanger, dude who likes to write songs....http://gatorjj.wordpress.com

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:15 pm

http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htmJust got this recently after checking out what was on the market. It's bigger than the others I've seen, makes a huge difference. I'm very happy with it, although you do need a sturdy stand...It was just reviewed in Recording btw.How badly you need something like this really depends on how "live" and big your recording area is. In my old place I was fine without it...matto

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:19 pm

Diogenes: yeah not much hiss actually...just room noise..and d'ya know where it comes from? my computer (ack!)they have cases to put your computer/other machines into tokill the sound but i just dont have the space for that..my apartment is ..well small to American taste..but thanks for that hiss advise! but i still like my apartment. (and yay i dont pay rent;)the compressor/gate i have really highlights the mic thing...i set it right where the room noise is rejected and no strange"pumping" when i sing as the gate opens...Che..what kind of Mic did your husband get?: )im always interested in all of my fellow taxi cats' gear!