This is the year

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: This is the year

Post by crs7string » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Erich,

There are so many parts of this journey that we have no control of, I think it is important to set goals based on what we can control.

The biggest thing we have control over is writing and recording music that production music libraries want.

I think the idea of multiple library relationships makes sense as well.

Eventually the number of tracks signed becomes simple math:

15 libraries X 10 tracks per year = 150 tracks signed

I think setting a goal of the number of placements is a very uncontrollable part of the process.

However, with enough "critical mass" ( large number of tracks with multiple libraries pitching diverse markets) the placements will follow and eventually will become fairly predictable.

I think the "critical mass" varies from composer to composer based on styles the composer is able to produce.

I do think setting goals makes sense and will nearly always move someone forward, and usually further than not having goals.

Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Really good points Chuck. I'm not sure how to set goals around things that I ultimately can't control. I'm still kicking around the goals to set for this year, and how to measure progress. Increasing the number of tracks I write and the quality of said tracks is first and foremost. I do think that the TAXI forward to return ratio is a real strong contender for a metric that I want to see consistent, year to year improvement in. To my mind, seeing that ratio improve would mean growth in targeting genre's and ala's, as well as executing on fundamentals (bcast quality, etc).

I think the long lead aspect of this profession is a large part of the allure for me. I love lifestyles and philosophies that basically say "I'm responsible for my part, and the results will follow". When I studied martial arts I quickly learned that breaking boards was all about technique and execution, when you concentrate on those things the boards just seem to shatter by themselves. When you hyper focus on breaking the board you usually break a knuckle (been there done that...).
Cheers!

Tim_Behrens
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Tim_Behrens » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:10 pm

I love the breaking boards analogy. And thanks for some more of the specifics, Chuck. For someone like myself, who is just starting this path, it's hard to know what those mile markers and goals should look like.

Erich, I posted my first draft for a five year plan tonight. http://timbehrens.com/first-draft-of-my-five-year-plan/ Sorry it's a little 'bloggy'. I think my first goal in these first months is for me to really sit down and define some of the specifics... maybe identify some of the areas where I know I'm lacking, and then put on paper some short term goals to move me in a more knowing direction. I also set a couple of really specific things for myself that I can start working on right away.

* Keep a work log of my music-related activity so I can see where I’m spending my time, and whether or not I need to re-adjust my priorities.
* Start a spreadsheet to track my recordings, and use descriptive titles, as well as keywords or tags, so that I can see where I need to diversify
* Keep a notebook for jotting down ideas, things to try, websites with useful information, observations, etc
* At least once a month, take part in some kind of professional development activity.
* Spend at least an hour a week reading, researching, and learning about recording techniques
* Spend at least an hour a week listening to music in the styles I am trying to compose. Keep notes on anything I hear or learn.
* Spend at least an hour a week truly practicing and working on my musical technique for both guitar and piano. (not just playing, but running scales, exercises, etc).
* Spend at least 30 minutes each week reading and researching business-related issues (ie some questions on my mind right now are copyright, ASCAP vs BMI, how to distribute music, where to
learn more about libraries and how they work.)
* Spend at least 30 minutes each week reading and commenting on music forums. See what others are working on, listen to what peers are sharing at Taxi, try to contribute when I can.
* Make a pointed effort to listen to the background music as I watch movies and TV, and make notes on what I hear. Try to find out about artist’s and publishers for the songs that really grab my
attention.
* Don’t watch so much TV. :P

A lot of these I do already, so it's not a huge change. For me, it's just a matter of recognizing the discipline and having more of an awareness of where all these activities are leading. I think your examples are great benchmarks. For me, that might be something I'm looking at in year two or three. My first hurdles are just getting some recordings under my belt, and finding ways to get them out there.

In any case, thanks for the great thread. I look forward to hearing more about your plan, and would love to chat with you at some point.
Best wishes,
--Tim Behrens
TimBehrens.com | SoundCloud
Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | @TimBehrens

shanegrla
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shanegrla » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Um, forgive me Erich for my ignorance. But you've got 125 tracks licensed with 50-60 actual placements going on in three years already. Exactly how is that not well into a good 5-year plan already? Considering my year and a half in Taxi with exactly one confirmed acceptance into a library to date, from where I'm standing you're looking like you're miles into your road already!
8-)
iMac 21.5" (2017) Intel Core i7 3.6GHz, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM
PreSonus Quantum 2 interface
Mac OSX 10.15.6
1 G-Drive Pro 4 TB
2 G-Drive 4 TB
ProTools 2019.9.1
Melodyne 4
Soundtoys Bundle 5
Omnisphere 2
Massey L2007
Superior Drummer 2
Komplete 11U

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:53 am

Planning itself also risk being a time robber. You get no returns from planning. Try to keep your eyes on the ball (or the board :D ), keep it simple and monitor the positives only. We always travel towards the light.

I think the most important part is to stay in touch with the market. Do more of what they need. Keep a record of acceptances, so you can check where and when you are succesful. Check the money in, and watch the money out on music.

Stats are just numbers, but what you can really learn from are what the numbers hide. Like you can miss 10 forwards, but maybe you pitched them to the wrong listings, featured the wrong instruments for that particular publisher or genre or forgot to button the endings properly, or wasn't critical enough when you produced it and accepted small things that become big when marketing them.
Ceo of my own life

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:30 am

Erich

Man, I wish I would have started at age fifty.

You are a great guy with loads of talent.

I wish only the best for you.

Sincerely

Paul
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:01 am

You're doing great Erich! :D

Getting to 4 figures in royalties is no small task! I remember matto saying how it takes a lot longer to get from 0 to $1000 than from $1000 to $10,000 and from $10,000 toward 6 figures. It's good to know the growth can be more exponential than linear :geek: if you keep at it!

I hope you totally kick butt in 2011!!

:) Casey

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by teleblaster » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:57 am

Excellent thread folks!!!!

I'm going to work on the plan specifics this weekend. It will be lightweight, and flexible. I probably won't put in any details for any years but 2011, maye broad brush strokes for the rest. I'll put it up on my skydrive account and share it out by request. Would love to see others plans too if anyone's interested in sharing -- Tim I'm going to read yours this weekend before starting mine.

coffee break is over :)

cherbear
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by cherbear » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Hey Erich!!! Love this thread!! I have made the same commitment this year! I am bustin' behind learning right now. I swear something was in the water at the Rally - something flipped a switch in many of us this year...

Cheers, bud - hats off to everyone here who has made this commitment. How bout we make this forum the songwriters Empire State Building? (Affair to Remember/Sleepless in Seattle) - I promise to meet back here in 5 years - all are welcome :)

Cher :)