REVISED "Thoughts of You" Piano/String Inst.

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

REVISED "Thoughts of You" Piano/String Inst.

Post by johndalenow » Tue May 28, 2024 8:40 pm

https://www.taxi.com/members/5g4RsNP0S1 ... hts-of-you

Lots of EMOTIONALLY UPLIFTING PIANO and STRING INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an impressive Music Licensing Company with lots of Film and TV placements.

NOTE: We previously ran this request as TAXI Listing # D240514WG, but the Library wants to hear even MORE material. If you submitted to listing # D240514WG, please send different material this time around.

This company is looking for a bunch of Instrumentals (and/or Cues) in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

"Inspiring Dreams" by Keys of Moon Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50i6-E2QSME

"Canon in D (Pachelbel's Canon)" by Brooklyn Duo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptk_1Dc2iPY

"Dawn of Life" by Epic Music Journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Jko60w3MI

Please submit original well-performed Piano and String Instrumentals (and/or Cues) with a hopeful, inspiring sound and lots of "happy ending" type vibes! Your submissions should have beautiful arrangements, inspiring musical performances, emotionally uplifting motifs, and lots of forward motion and interest throughout. Piano and Strings are both a must, but some light additional instrumentation in the general stylistic ballpark of the references could also work, such as soft pads, percussion, cymbal swells, etc. Please be sure that all virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and very realistic sounding.

Your submissions should be roughly 1.5 minutes long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals and/or Cues you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals and/or Cues as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, June 12th, 2024. TAXI # S240612UP
Last edited by johndalenow on Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: "Thoughts of You" Piano/String Inst.

Post by Casey H » Wed May 29, 2024 5:24 am

Quick listen on laptop. The strings seem very hot and in your face. I did listen to some of the references for compare. I'll listen again later on decent headphones. My opinion (grain of salt, I'm a vocal songwriter) is it's often better to have strings be more subtle because out front, any issues with realism of virtual instruments jumps out.

Best,
:D Casey

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Wed May 29, 2024 5:59 pm

Thanks, Casey. Looking forward to you commenting after a good listen, as you indicated. Best! John

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed May 29, 2024 6:37 pm

On the headphones now. The strings don't sound right to me. They feel thin and harsh. It could be because they are a solo player, while the first reference has a smoother orchestral sound. I think, based on the first reference track, you need an overall softer sound across the board for the track. The piano might need softer hits too.

HUGE GRAIN OF SALT! I am out of my league with this style of music. Let's see what others say. As my wife would tell you, I'm often wrong. ;)

Best,
Casey

Update: I listened to the 3rd reference track and felt the difference was the same. Maybe you were going for more like the 2nd reference.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Wed May 29, 2024 8:00 pm

Thanks for giving it a second listen, Casey. I was going for more like the second reference. I also decided liked the pad I just added, per their option.

macomposer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by macomposer » Fri May 31, 2024 1:06 pm

Hi John,

Taking a listen now, and I'm not sure if they'll hear "uplifting." Sounds a bit more melancholic to me.. but that might be just how I hear these things... :)

To the technical parts, love the piano, but the cello (?) (sounds more cello-ish than violin-ish to me)... needs some work. Casey mentioned that it's too hot, and he's right.... but also I'm not that convinced that it's someone playing cello.. Apologies if it is someone playing cello... if that's the case, there are a couple of things to try:

1. turn it down a bit (3-4 db), and also do a small EQ cut around between 2KHz and 2.5 KHz.. that'll help it not to be so in your face...

2. Also, use just a tiny bit of reverb and try to place it in the same space a bit more as the piano. It's kinda there and maybe just being too loud right now is taking it out of the space...

If it's not a live player, I might try re-tracking the part and really riding CC 1 and 11. There are spots where the line isn't moving.. it just kinda sits there, there's no crescendo (getting louder) or getting softer. That combined with the above will take this one home I think.

I wish you the best with it!
Mark
Mark Anthony Chubb
https://www.taxi.com/members/markanthonychubb
markanthonychubb.com

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Fri May 31, 2024 11:01 pm

Astute and helpful comments as always, Mark. I appreciate your time and suggestions. Best, John

Here's a revision, Mark:

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... al_sharing

macomposer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: REVISED "Thoughts of You" Piano/String Inst.

Post by macomposer » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:08 pm

Hi John,

This is improvement. The cello is sitting much better in the mix! It could maybe use a bit more reverb... it's sitting in front of the piano (good), but it could use a bit of a reverb tail, especially at the end of the lines, which are very nice btw. This would just give a bit more of a blend... and it would also match the vocal synth line that comes in later.

The other thing about the cello line: at the end of phrases when the melody is turning, the notes are hitting pretty late to my ears. In other words, they sound too far behind the beat. (I got stung in this area with a taxi screener last year, so I pick up on that now in my own lines... :cry: ) I mean, you don't want them be in front of the beat either - it's a delicate thing.. but maybe bring some of the late ones forward on the timeline just a bit in places... You want to keep it sounding as natural as possible, and this is definitely one of those nitty gritty detailed parts of the work. (The first time I hear it starts at around :23 seconds...)

Finally, I like the added texture of the synth that comes in halfway through... but... that patch is a very well-worn sound... :D It reminds me very much of Suzanne Ciani's records that she did with Private Music in the late 80s/early 90s. (Neverland, History of My Heart).. so I'm not sure if they might not qualify as "dated." If you're going for that specific sound, then maybe some subtle layering might help it sound fresher... If you're not married to that sound, then maybe consider using Vocalise, or a female "ah" patch from VOXOS or some other choral library... Omnisphere even has something that might work... I mean, it's an acoustic piece with the piano and cello, then the added synth lines gives a slightly different vibe... if you can find a vocal like patch(es) that sound acoustic, it's going to keep it in the same vibey area that you start with.

But this is great work John! I actually wrote a piano suite of pieces for my wife years ago called Thoughts of You, and they sucked compared to this. :lol:

All the best,
Mark
Mark Anthony Chubb
https://www.taxi.com/members/markanthonychubb
markanthonychubb.com

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: REVISED "Thoughts of You" Piano/String Inst.

Post by johndalenow » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:50 pm

Mark, I greatly appreciate your willingness to help. I am confident that some of your suggestions have moved this piece closer to being forwarded. Thank you, my friend. I will do my best to return the favor. Best! John