Three best things I learned at the Rally

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Three best things I learned at the Rally

Post by ernstinen » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:44 pm

Nov 11, 2008, 6:20pm, aldicicco wrote:2. Find my niche. I get excited about all types of music, but I have a limited number of strengths. I need to focus on these.Yup, that's the MAIN one. Follow your own muse!Except for maybe:Nov 13, 2008, 6:54pm, mazz wrote:Here's the three best things I learned at the Road Rally 2008:1. This is a relationship business.2. This is a relationship business.3. This is a relationship business.That's so true, Mazz! I'm such an introvert, that I can't believe I got me a$$ down to the Westin to meet y'all! You both have good advice ---Ern

jpmuzic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jpmuzic » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:11 am

I second that it's about relationship that I have found this past weekend at the rally. But the Three things that I have learned at the rally was. 1). It's all about the music and who you can touch I had a one on one mentoring and it was a guy by the name of Ron Harris he put my CD in the player and he said nothing he was bobbing his head back and fourth now keep in mind you only get 15 min about 12 min in he threw the headphones off his head and said what are you doing with this and I said try to touch other folks lives with my music to make a change he started to get a bit emotional and I was doing the same and I said to my self wow you never know how your music is going to touch folks that was one of the biggest highlights that I had.2) Being there meeting everyone that come on this forum and meet face to face.3) The Dots that really did it for me.Love you guys so much lets keep music alive we come from different backgrounds but music speaks to everyone black or white fat or skinny, tall or short bald or hair on your head it all boils down to the music and keeping real and pure!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:39 am

Nov 13, 2008, 6:54pm, mazz wrote:Here's the three best things I learned at the Road Rally 2008:1. This is a relationship business.2. This is a relationship business.3. This is a relationship business.MazzCan I be your fwiend? The above is so true-- both for relationships here and in the industry. Casey

superjeezus
Active
Active

Post by superjeezus » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:34 am

Mazz said it far better than I can. I came to the rally this year with some specific questions about the inner workings of libraries and other parts of the biz. All of my questions were answered, but I had no idea how important real face time and relationship building was until I sucked up the courage to reach out to others. I was constantly amazed at how many things I had in common with many of the folks I spent time with.A couple of oldie-but-goodie quotes come to mind:"Seek first to understand, then to be understood.""They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."I really look forward to seeing you guys again next year (if not sooner!), and hope to meet more of you too!--Andy.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:16 am

Nov 16, 2008, 7:11am, jpmuzic wrote:I second that it's about relationship that I have found this past weekend at the rally. But the Three things that I have learned at the rally was. 1). It's all about the music and who you can touch I had a one on one mentoring and it was a guy by the name of Ron Harris he put my CD in the player and he said nothing he was bobbing his head back and fourth now keep in mind you only get 15 min about 12 min in he threw the headphones off his head and said what are you doing with this and I said try to touch other folks lives with my music to make a change he started to get a bit emotional and I was doing the same and I said to my self wow you never know how your music is going to touch folks that was one of the biggest highlights that I had.2) Being there meeting everyone that come on this forum and meet face to face.3) The Dots that really did it for me.Love you guys so much lets keep music alive we come from different backgrounds but music speaks to everyone black or white fat or skinny, tall or short bald or hair on your head it all boils down to the music and keeping real and pure! I also had Ron as my one-on-one mentor. What an honor to have him listen and give me personal advice. He really liked my songs and gave me some solid steps on what I can do to step up my game. I don't think we met at the Rally, but your avatar looks like you may have met with Ron right after I did.Nomi

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:13 am

This was my second rally. Though not as much of an emotional kick as the last one, it was even better practically. It's like the first rally was my first roller coaster ride where the excitement was overwhelming. The second ride you know more what to expect and can appreciate being able to see all the skyscrapers as the roller coaster goes up and down.Mazz's point is dead on. It's all about relationships. But I would also like to add one relationship that we often ignore-- the relationship with our own music. Last rally, my focus was just getting my stuff into the right hands. "If it can just be heard then somebody will jump all over this". But I didn't have the right relationship with my music yet. Still don't, but am much closer to getting there.The best analogy I can think of to explain what I'm talking about with a relationship with my music is a parenting analogy. When a child is born, the magic is overwhelming. Much like writing a song. "I did this! What a miracle." It doesn't matter that the little bundle of joy smells like excrement at times, drools and spits up-- but "Isn't she cute!". As the child grows, you want to give her all she wants, but have to balance that with discipline. I'm sure you've seen the soccer parents whose kids obviously haven't practiced the game very much, but the parents blame everything on the refs, coaches or other kids. How many of us would take our very bright and promising middle school student and try to enroll them in college? Yet we will take a mediocre song or recording and try to put it in the hands of a major label executive-- because we don't have a healthy relationship with our own music.Last year, I listened to the panels where they played member's random CDs, but I was soooo eager to possibly win that lotto that I more imagined how it would be to be hearing my song than really listening. Yeah, I got some good info, but not as much as this year.This year, I knew how extreme the odds were to get played and spent less anticipation time and more real listening time. I heard some really good stuff that got some mild praise, but little more. There were a few flashes of brilliance and you could see the panels light up. It hit me. They hear really good all the time-- and can't really do anything with that. Yet, there's not that much "brilliance" out there, and that stops them in their tracks.So as a loving parent, I examined my kid's (songs) potential in that light. There's some really good kids there... but if I stop blaming the refs, coaches, and those privileged kids who don't really deserve that spot on the team, and just look at where my kid's are right now--- they need some work to be brilliant.That's what I got mostly from this rally. The bar is actually higher than I thought, but I am also closer than it seems. Taxi and the rally have given me the kind of industry relationships that I always said were all I needed. Well, now I know that there's more to it. The stuff has to be brilliant before those relationships really mean anything.So in summary here's my top three rally lessons:1. Getting to know someone is more important than getting them your CD.2. My stuff still needs some work, but it's not rocket science. The industry is yelling and screaming about what they are looking for, if we will just listen.3. It's all in my hands. The tools are there. The relationships and opportunities are there. The question is, am I to work hard enough to get that "lucky".Yes I am. One great song means more than a dozen really good ones. That's my post rally objective. Take it one great song at a time!Aub

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:36 pm

Great post, as usual, Aub. It amazes me the way you are so willing to expose yourself for all of our benefit. Thank you.
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

jpmuzic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jpmuzic » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks nomiyah. Ron was the best I was taking my CD back from him and he grab it back and said that I could not get this back that he was going to put this in his truck so that right there was worth coming to the Rally. Sorry that I didn't get a chance to meet you but let keep in touch

ragani
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ragani » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:45 pm

Nov 16, 2008, 4:36pm, tedsingingfox wrote:...so willing to expose yourself... OMG, Ted, now I KNOW I was missing something on that helipad...
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it..." - Goethe
http://www.RaganiWorld.com - Turn the World to Love®
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=ragani

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Nov 16, 2008, 7:45pm, ragani wrote:Nov 16, 2008, 4:36pm, tedsingingfox wrote:...so willing to expose yourself... OMG, Ted, now I KNOW I was missing something on that helipad... Okay, how did I miss out on the helipad?? !! My mom was so sweet... every time I went back to the room she'd say, "what time are you coming up to sleep? you need your rest, you know."I'd say, "I'm just going down for awhile, I'll be back in an hour. by midnight, 12:30 tops"she'd say, "yeah, sure."
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website