Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Pvgeldrop
Impressive
Impressive

Urgent - listing Y190303PB

Post by Pvgeldrop » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi everyone,

So, I'm working on the last details for the listing below. There is one thing, however, that worries me a bit. The listing states that the listing should be 1:59 including ringout, etc. I'm not entirely sure if that means the listing has to be 1:59 exactly, or that should be NO LONGER than 1:59.. which in my case makes quite a difference for the tempo.

Hoping somebody can shed some light on this before I submit.. :P

Thanks in advance,

Paul

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PIANO-Based INSTRUMENTALS are U-R-G-E-N-T-L-Y needed by SUNDAY for an up to $14,000, Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Ad-Agency Placement in an International TV Commercial!

Quoting the Music Supervisor: "This commercial will feature a group of people having a one-on-one conversation with each other, but without them being able to see who they're talking to - thus, making connections they otherwise wouldn't. Currently, they have a temp piano piece that resembles this vibe and feel."

NAB Talk To Yourself More

NOTE: Another reference track the Ad-Agency gave us was “Her,” but they noted that "the bass was a bit ominous and solemn… but there are some lovely parts in this track with the Piano that they (the client) really like."

"Her" Ambient Mix

They’re NOT looking for clones or soundalikes! Similar tempo, energy, and overall vibe? Yes. Clones? No!

Quoting the Music Supervisor, again:

"The longest online version of the spot will be 2 minutes long." (For TV Commercials, that means your Instrumental should be 1:59.5 including ring out and reverb tail).

"The music needs to be present but not disruptive to picture."

"They are not fixated on the idea it has to be Piano driven, however, definitely keep that as an option, but feel free to explore other sounds and instrumentation... could it be voice (a capella), strings, minimal electronic, post-classical? They would love to open this one up a little bit.

"Your submissions need to be innovative, as there's been plenty of other similar spots utilizing similar soundtracks like the NAB spot we mentioned above."

"The piano piece that's currently 'temped-in' telegraphs the emotions a little too hard. The emotion should be coming from the people in the spot rather than the music."

"LESS IS MORE!"

Those are all direct quotes, so please take that direction to heart!

Do not copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed.

The estimated license fee is up to $14,000, depending on the ultimate use. This is a Direct-to-Ad-Agency pitch. You’ll keep 100% ownership of the Copyright and Master Recording, but you won’t be able to license your Instrumental for any other TV Commercials for the duration of the term of the agreement, which will be determined by the Ad Agency and you – most likely 12 months. You must own or control the Master and Composition rights to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All Submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a TAXI screener - Short critiques only.

Sorry, but we can NOT extend the deadline for this Listing for any reason whatsoever. Not even by a minute.

All Submissions must be received no later than11:59 PMPDT) on Sunday, March 3rd, 2019. TAXI #Y190303PB
Paul van Geldrop

Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/paulvangeldrop
Twitter: @OhIsDatZo

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Urgent - listing Y190303PB

Post by CTWF » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Pvgeldrop wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:59 pm
"The longest online version of the spot will be 2 minutes long." (For TV Commercials, that means your Instrumental should be 1:59.5 including ring out and reverb tail).
Hey Paul, I have no contracts, nothing in a music library, but that bit of the listing I would interpret as having to be pretty much spot on. I hope the one or other pro will chip in and confirm this for you. Tom

Pvgeldrop
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pvgeldrop » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:11 pm

I suspect you're right, Tom, so I've just changed the tempo to make sure I get as close to the mark as possible.

I'm going to submit two versions nonetheless; one slowed down, and the other closer to the original tempo. Just to be sure. ;-)

Thanks for the quick reply. :-)
Paul van Geldrop

Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/paulvangeldrop
Twitter: @OhIsDatZo

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:31 pm

FYI:

If its an ad spot that you are writing for, the "ad buys" are exactly 0:15, 0:30, 0:60 etc. On network television this is easy to see, why its carried over onto online platforms I guess is a matter or history and convenience (for somebody).

They are going to be cutting your 1:59.5 long piece to fit whatever TV versions of this spot are planned. 0:15, 0:30 or 0:60 usually. That's why it is wise to have a couple of music "edit" points and a variety of "lifts" that they can use to finesse the version for the shorter picture.

The reason they ask for 1:59.5?

The spot is exactly 2:00 long. They want music to start at 0:00 and continue on until the last frame of video - but they need the ending to sound like its composed - they don't want a fade out of the music.

If you do a big hit at 1:56 and then reverb and delay tail off and then cut it at 1:59.5 that might work (especially if there is a company mnemonic that they tag onto the end like McDonalds or Intel) but it also might sound like the music ends before the spot ends. So you likely have it go much longer and have the last hit and reverb tail all happen almost at 1:59 - which is technically difficult to make it sound wonderful.

That's for you to work out for these kind of projects. Playing with tempo, different meters etc can all help put something together that is super flexible and fits all the needs.

Hope that makes sense and helps for the next project.