USB Thumbdrives versus CD's - Any Thoughts?

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ThomasGoodlunas

USB Thumbdrives versus CD's - Any Thoughts?

Post by ThomasGoodlunas » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi All,

Since submissions for the listening panels are being done online for the 2019 Rally I'd like to hear if anyone is going to use thumb-drives instead of CD's for luncheon and mentor giveaways? If you are using thumb-drives, have you had any issues with Mac-Win compatibility?

Thanks for your input!

TG

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: USB Thumbdrives versus CD's - Any Thoughts?

Post by pwaara » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:50 pm

Hey Thomas,

I'm so glad you're coming to the Rally again. See Casey's post what-to-bring-to-the-road-rally-2016-ed ... 72927.html which covers a lot of ground. Personally, I prefer receiving CDs over USB drives as they are more convenient for me, and I don't have to worry about viruses. I just bring a handful, just in case and for the mentor lunches, but I also have a link and QR code to my online music on my business card, which I also put in the CD.

Looking forward to seeing you there again.

~Pat

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:34 am

Hey Thomas, as a mentor for these past few years, I'd recommend against using USB drives for three reasons:

One, they're far more costly than CD's. Much better to hand out product if it doesn't cost you much money.

Two, they don't conveniently stack onto a pile of CD's with the other music a mentor receives. Therefore, they're more likely to get lost - or at least misplaced - when the mentor arrives back home.

Three, once a misplaced USB drive is discovered by a mentor at his/her house (sometimes years later), they're more likely to just say "sweet, a free USB drive", rather than listening to the music on it.

CD's, as old of a medium as they are now, are still the method I'd recommend. Other mentors and people may have differing opinions though.....

~~Matt

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:16 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:34 am
Hey Thomas, as a mentor for these past few years, I'd recommend against using USB drives for three reasons:

One, they're far more costly than CD's. Much better to hand out product if it doesn't cost you much money.

Two, they don't conveniently stack onto a pile of CD's with the other music a mentor receives. Therefore, they're more likely to get lost - or at least misplaced - when the mentor arrives back home.

Three, once a misplaced USB drive is discovered by a mentor at his/her house (sometimes years later), they're more likely to just say "sweet, a free USB drive", rather than listening to the music on it.

CD's, as old of a medium as they are now, are still the method I'd recommend. Other mentors and people may have differing opinions though.....

~~Matt
Thanks for that perspective & advice.
See you at The Westin!
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

ThomasGoodlunas

Post by ThomasGoodlunas » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:01 pm

pwaara wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:50 pm
Hey Thomas,

I'm so glad you're coming to the Rally again. See Casey's post what-to-bring-to-the-road-rally-2016-ed ... 72927.html which covers a lot of ground. Personally, I prefer receiving CDs over USB drives as they are more convenient for me, and I don't have to worry about viruses. I just bring a handful, just in case and for the mentor lunches, but I also have a link and QR code to my online music on my business card, which I also put in the CD.

Looking forward to seeing you there again.

~Pat
Hey Pat,

Thanks for the reply and link to Casey's post. You have a good point with the virus issue too. I look forward to seeing you at the event and perhaps we can assemble a "Maui" gathering like you mentioned. Much Aloha!

ThomasGoodlunas

Post by ThomasGoodlunas » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:36 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:34 am

~~Matt
Hey Matt,

Thanks for the advice, looks like CD’s win that argument! The stacking issue makes total sense and “sweet, a free USB drive” too, especially since I’ve been guilty of the same. I appreciate your time and look forward to visiting at the Rally if your schedule allows.

~Thomas