using youtube clips in songs_copyright issues

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

melodymessiah
Impressive
Impressive

using youtube clips in songs_copyright issues

Post by melodymessiah » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:31 am

i've been wondering about something, do i risk copyright strikes if i use short clips from youtube videos in my songs without asking for permission from the content owner or those appearing in the videos, and then upload it as my own work? how does this work?

paul

Pvgeldrop
Impressive
Impressive

Re: using youtube clips in songs_copyright issues

Post by Pvgeldrop » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:37 am

I'd say you're already answering your own question: using someone else's content without their permission and passing it off as your own is definitely a no-no. Not sure if you'd get copyright issues, that would probably depend on the material used, but in essence I'd say 'yes, you're infringing copyright and thus risk copyright issues'.
Paul van Geldrop

Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/paulvangeldrop
Twitter: @OhIsDatZo

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:41 am

Sounds like copyright violation to me. Or intellectual property theft. Yikes! My advice is not to do it.

What are you using other YouTube clips in your own works for in the first place? If it's a legit-enough reason, you might be able to simply reach out to the content owner and see if they'll approve it?

~~Matt

melodymessiah
Impressive
Impressive

Post by melodymessiah » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:43 am

well i doubt if i would ever be able to get a hold of the person in the video, and if i did he/she would probably say no. here it is anyway. sorry, just couldn't help myself :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZtOz-KKMhI

seems like someone already has used stills from the video and putting music to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCyB031X9e4

paul

Pvgeldrop
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pvgeldrop » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:16 pm

The person in the video is not the content owner though, that's the person who filmed it and put it on Youtube.
Paul van Geldrop

melodymessiah
Impressive
Impressive

Post by melodymessiah » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:39 pm

i know that, but doesn't the content owner need permission from all recognizable people in the video to publish it? and if he doesn't need permission, why would i need permission from the content owner to use clips from it?

Pvgeldrop
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pvgeldrop » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Ah, but that line of reasoning is where most discussions go wrong concerning copyrights; because he/she doesn't do it, why should I?

The content owner possibly infringing of the privacy of the people in the video (which you can't be sure of) does not justify you using the content without permission.
Paul van Geldrop

melodymessiah
Impressive
Impressive

Post by melodymessiah » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:13 pm

makes perfect sense, thanks for your reply ;)

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:36 pm

It's been a while since I've taken a mass-media law class, but from what I remember of my college courses concerning this topic (back in 2001 or so.... long before social media and YouTube), as long as a video is filmed in a public location there's, no expectation of privacy. Game Stop would qualify as a private location though, so this seems to infringe on that, and I don't know if it's necessarily legal or appropriate to post videos like this. Happens all the time though, as we well know.

However, the guy who filmed it is the actual intellectual property owner. The person going crazy in the video is just the subject material being filmed. So, the content owner is the person with the camera, not the "talent", much in the same way an actor doesn't own the rights to a movie they appear in.

As much as we'd get upset if someone "stole" our music and put it to video without our permission, the same applies in this instance with someone else's video. It's simply not okay to take things without permission or payment.

So, in all of this, anyone who uses this video without express written permission from the owner would be guilty of copyright infringement. I think.....

Could be a great topic for a Taxi TV!!

~~Matt

CTWF
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by CTWF » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:53 pm

As a European (BREXIT mess!), I would love to make a song out of this, but the House of Commons makes it very clear that you are not allowed to do so. :cry: Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4v7wddN-Wg

P.S.: Regarding the original video this thread is about, I assume it violates the privacy of the shown people, and in general I would leave it alone since it is a sensitive subject.
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf My sh1t is straight FIRE! d;-o