Webcam video using "stock" Mac software - how to??

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Webcam video using "stock" Mac software - how to??

Post by audiorayne » Thu May 01, 2008 6:11 am

Hi folks, hope everyone out there is doing well...Did a search but couldn't find anything anywhere, so maybe this is really is a dumb question with a no-brainer answer (that's a risk I'm willing to take ) ... How do I make a video using just the webcam on my laptop (Macbook Pro)? Is there any stock Mac software that will do this? I thought iMovie would do it, and it appears that it can actually record video, but I can't seem to create anything that will actually play back. All I want is a basic video & audio recording that is saved as a video file (mov, avi, mpeg, whatever...).Any help would be appreciated!Thanks!-AR

rcase
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Webcam video using "stock" Mac software - how

Post by rcase » Thu May 01, 2008 6:41 am

AR-I'm running Leopard 10.5.2, and under the Video menu in iChat, I see there's a Record Chat item. A search of the Help in that application says you can record your chats and it stores them in Documents>iChats. What format this is in, I can't tell you as I'm unable to connect at the moment.Have you gotten this far already? Rob
"Financial success as a songwriter requires 3 things: One, craft. Two, volume. Three, time." - Vikki Flawith

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Thu May 01, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Rob. I understood that to run iChat I'd need a .mac account (which I don't have.. ). Is that not the case? (sorry, not in front of the studio computer at the moment)..May 1, 2008, 9:41am, rcase wrote:AR-I'm running Leopard 10.5.2, and under the Video menu in iChat, I see there's a Record Chat item. A search of the Help in that application says you can record your chats and it stores them in Documents>iChats. What format this is in, I can't tell you as I'm unable to connect at the moment.Have you gotten this far already? Rob

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Post by twilsbach » Thu May 01, 2008 1:05 pm

A .mac account certainly works with iChat, but all you need to use it is a free AOL instant messenger account.As far as how its recorded...mac is firmly planted in Quicktime, and you'll have no problems editing that with iMovie.

kouly
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kouly » Thu May 01, 2008 8:48 pm

If you do not want to do that option there is the option of just buying Quicktime Pro from the Apple website. You have it on the computer already. By buying a key for 39.00 you unlock the features that are already there (but greyed out). One of them is recording audio and video using a webcam.

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Fri May 02, 2008 2:30 am

Aha! Ok, cool, thanks guys. I'll check out QT.-AR