what do you recommend for drums?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

philschon
Active
Active

what do you recommend for drums?

Post by philschon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 am

I am recording with a BOSS BR1600. I also have a computer in the studio. I was wondering what you guys recommend for drum tracks. I know there are loops out there, but what would be good for building my own tracks? So far I haven't used the computer for much except saving files (being NOT the brightest computer guy out there). But, I'm always open to learning new things!

delagarzamusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: what do you recommend for drums?

Post by delagarzamusic » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:57 am

i could recomend using a drum sampler like battery, Redrum or even kontakt and find some good drum samples for them then program your tracks on a midi track on your sequencer.. i think its the easiest way.. you can modify the sounds and parts any time as you are building the song.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:47 am

Low budget ideas:VERY Old School:I've got some drum tracks out of an Alesis HR-16 Midi drum machine that STILL sound pretty darn good, even today! I don't use it anymore, because the buttons don't work. But good sounds, and tuneable.LESS Old SchoolI still use an Emu e-6400 sampler with some great stereo drum sounds. It think they MAY be from a friend's Roland sampler. There's even some cool loops in there.Higher budget:Hire a great drummer. Although I've spent hours and hours programming Midi drums to sound realistic, there's nothing like the sound and feel of a real drummer. Of course, this depends on the style of music you're doing.When Midi drums first appeared back in the 80's, I was sold on the sounds, but had many, er, discussions with the drummer in my band about what a REAL drummer can do vs. a great programmer. Listening to masters from back then, I'll have to admit he was right and I was wrong, especially in rock music.Cest la vie!Ern

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:27 am

For certain types of music (rock or anything that is supposed to sound like a "real" drummer), there are plenty of audio loops out there from companies like Drums on Demand. They make their loops in construction kit or song construction format. They also sell multitrack versions so you can do your own mixes. These loops sound very good but you are limited to the tempos they decide to include. Software like Acid or Live can speed up or down loops to a certain degree but audio loops aren't as flexible in the tempo department as MIDI loops are.For MIDI loops there are companies like Groove Monkee that sell them in various configurations based on what software you are using. Some popular and good sounding instruments are EZ Drummer, Addictive Drums, Superior Drummer, and also plenty of libraries made for Kontakt, which is a software sampler and sampler editor. You could load the MIDI files in to your Boss and then run the software on your computer and with the proper MIDI/Audio interface, you could record your drums back to your Boss.There's lots to consider here but this is a good time to be in the market for drum stuff because there's plenty of it out there and it sounds so much better than it did 10 or 20 or even 5 years ago.Have fun!!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

foglyte
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by foglyte » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:42 am

I agree with Ern about what a real drummer can do versus a drum machine, midi loops, etc... I have used drum loops or just default patterns for my "entire" musical life to jam/record to, and I realized that in order to get the feel of a real drummer and to possibly step up my game, I would need to do some "real" drumming. I just don't enjoy programming beats. Time is an issue also.So I got myself a full electronic kit that I don't have to mic, have multiple kits to choose from, and I don't have to worry about possibly destroying any relationships I may have ... and all I had to do is learn to play like a drummer. Tall task, but boy is it fun. I have been air drumming since I can remember, I just decided one day to put some sticks in my hands Not everyone has drumming skills or access to a drummer, this I realize, hence the thread and the advice needed on drums tracks. Lots of folks here mention EZdrummer. Fog

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:05 am

There's lots of drummers online that are providing drum tracks recorded to your tracks. You can even hire up to the level of Dave Weckl if you have the budget. These folks are real drummers and have everything set up and mic'd up ready to go.I haven't tried it myself but I'd be willing to bet with a bit of Googling, you could find someone to fit practically any budget .Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:07 am

EZ drummer from toontracks. sound like the real deal once you learn a few tricks for mixing and stuff.Or talk to our fellow member BillG. He does great drumtracks for you at very low rates.He did a great job for my latest project.M~

timbehrens
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timbehrens » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:50 am

I'll second EZ drummer. The loops that come with it are great to get started, but you can really do some great things if you take the time to program your own tracks using your sequences....

philschon
Active
Active

Post by philschon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:23 am

Wow! Thanks for all the input guys! I'll be looking into these suggestions as soon as I get home tonight.

jpmuzic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jpmuzic » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 am

Let me ask a question. Can you use Ez Drummer in Logic Studio? JPBe BlessedI rock with one name!