When the day job wins.... and other stories....

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

When the day job wins.... and other stories....

Post by arkjack » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:49 am

I was just catching up on a post I made in "Listings" and thought it would be cool to hear and trade stories about how the day job, family ties (plastic handcuffs), and other interference has tried to kill or injure the muse.Just a quote or two...."I absolutely cannot fathom anything I recorded in the 70's to muster broadcast quality. My studio back in that day consisted of two RadioShack stereo cassette recorders and Realistic battery powered condenser mics through a battery powered Radioshack mixer, and a Danelectro tube amp. It was 4 generations of ping-pong and a live drum kit and pre-dolby. So I guess thats' that.....ArkJack Billg, I know what you mean, I wish I'd known before I sold at the 1988 garage sale when I liquidated the 3rd Kajon studio..... (in preparation to turn the room into a nursery for my son who is now 18....)... "It was bringing to mind how I could trace music through events in my life, that seem to coincide with "studio liquidation" or consolidation. The first time was when I went to college, sold off everything except my acoustic, the old horse Morris W609T and a used blond Fender tele, (Jerry Garcia style setup). All amps, recorders, and equipment disposed to make room in a dorm.... circa 1975The second liquidation was when I moved out of my parent's house to room with friends in a town house, Sold everything but the Morris and at that time had an SG and somewhere in that timeframe I had bought the Danelectro tube amp from a friend (who was liquidating cause he was getting married...)..... circa 1982The third liquidation was 1988, to make room for babies. Sold everything but the Morris, The fourth liquidation was circa 1995, when the advent of running Cakewalk version 2 on a AT386 was just about driving me nuts, and I decided that I was spending too much time playing with buttons and switches rather than writing songs.... so I sold off all that equipment, but then got the Martin D28 as the solo instrument.... The studio has expanded to its current state in the fifth generation, starting with the Martin, now there are 5 acoustics, 4 electrics, 3 basses, and a collection of recorders, amps, mics, keyboards, and back to where I left off in 95', trying to run Cubase in a Pentium 4 laptop.... What's your story?ArkJack