[ANSWERED] Would Like Your Input on Digital Dist and Sales

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Post Reply
User avatar
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

[ANSWERED] Would Like Your Input on Digital Dist and Sales

Post by Razor7Music » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:21 am

Hello Group--

I did a search on the Taxi forums to see if this topic was covered, and gleaned a lot of valuable info. Some of it was rather dated or spread out over multiple posts, so I'm thinking a new thread might not be a bad idea -- at least for me! :lol:

I've done my research on CD Baby, Tunecore, Reverbnation, Ditto Music, and DistroKid and because of my small catalog, need for a website, sales, and streaming services, I'm leaning heavily towards Reverbnation.

I'd really appreciate any input from this group before I make my final decision. Was there anything that you regret/would do differently with any of these services? Anything to watch out for? If you don't mind sharing, why did you go with one over another?

I'd like to thank you in advance for your input. It's always been a great value to me over the years!

EDIT: I got this link https://aristake.com/post/cd-baby-tunec ... imbalam-or from a response from another forum. I'm still reading it, but wanted to pass it along to any that are reading this post.
Last edited by Razor7Music on Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

User avatar
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: Would Like Your Input on Digital Dist and Sales

Post by Razor7Music » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:02 pm

UPDATE: Here is what I decided!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:01 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Would Like Your Input on Digital Dist and Sales

Post by NaeDae » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:15 am

Story time! I had a catchy song I wrote that got posted by a youtube music aggregation channel a few years ago (a channel similar to Trap Nation but smaller). Well, the video started getting tens of thousands of plays, and I realized I needed to upload it to Spotify. I decided on CD Baby's $15-per-song fee.

It ends up getting 150,000+ plays at first (CD Baby paid me like $500-ish), but then a few years later the song is only making me like $20 a year. Looking back, that Tunecore subscription actually wouldn't have been worth it for me, so I made the correct choice financially. If you don't have a lot of material to release and aren't expecting large amounts of regular listening traffic, that one-time $15/song fee (or cheaper when bundled as an album) really is the most profitable in cases where you're not getting millions of plays. When it comes to just having a place to put my music out there somewhere, I've always just used soundcloud since it's free and I can link friends to it since they're the only ones listening most of the time.

User avatar
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: Would Like Your Input on Digital Dist and Sales

Post by Razor7Music » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:36 am

NaeDae wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:15 am
Story time! I had a catchy song I wrote that got posted by a youtube music aggregation channel a few years ago (a channel similar to Trap Nation but smaller). Well, the video started getting tens of thousands of plays, and I realized I needed to upload it to Spotify. I decided on CD Baby's $15-per-song fee.

It ends up getting 150,000+ plays at first (CD Baby paid me like $500-ish), but then a few years later the song is only making me like $20 a year. Looking back, that Tunecore subscription actually wouldn't have been worth it for me, so I made the correct choice financially. If you don't have a lot of material to release and aren't expecting large amounts of regular listening traffic, that one-time $15/song fee (or cheaper when bundled as an album) really is the most profitable in cases where you're not getting millions of plays. When it comes to just having a place to put my music out there somewhere, I've always just used soundcloud since it's free and I can link friends to it since they're the only ones listening most of the time.
That's really good info, thanks! I would really like to hear your YT song that got so many plays! Can you post the link?
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:01 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: [ANSWERED] Would Like Your Input on Digital Dist and Sales

Post by NaeDae » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSBKu9wFEwA

Here it is but be prepared for some cheesiness lol

User avatar
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: [ANSWERED] Would Like Your Input on Digital Dist and Sales

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:56 pm

NaeDae wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:12 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSBKu9wFEwA

Here it is but be prepared for some cheesiness lol
I can identify with a cheese factor. Got a few of those myself 😉

Thanks for sharing! All the best!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

User avatar
Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4344
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: [ANSWERED] Would Like Your Input on Digital Dist and Sales

Post by Kolstad » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:21 pm

If you are looking to pitch tracks for sync opps, you gotta be careful with the admin deals these distributors offer along with their services.
Check out this Taxi TV episode with Erin Jacobson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFAN_JuSk_Q

User avatar
Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Irvine, CA
Contact:

Re: [ANSWERED] Would Like Your Input on Digital Dist and Sales

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:00 pm

Kolstad wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:21 pm
If you are looking to pitch tracks for sync opps, you gotta be careful with the admin deals these distributors offer along with their services.
Check out this Taxi TV episode with Erin Jacobson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFAN_JuSk_Q
Thanks for sharing this. Very good information. I actually did my homework before joining RVN, and much of it was from previous Taxi posts--so cheers to all those that pointed out that I don't want to relinquish any of my publishing (and I didn't/wouldn't).

:D
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests