Would you raise your hand during these ones?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Would you raise your hand during these ones?

Post by audiorayne » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:40 am

Hi everyone,None of my tunes were played during the listening sessions, but after being at the Rally, I’m curious to know how they might have been received. I’m targetting mostly listings for film/TV/videogames. If you were a panelist during one of the listening sessions, at what point during these songs would have yelled "next!" and why? Could you see any of these being placed? 1. http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true. This is an acoustic alternative rock song. I played this at the Rally main open mic in case you happened to still be around at 11:45 on Saturday night (I was the second last performer). During the bridge (~2:51), the song takes on a different vibe that may be placed in another context from the rest of the song. 2. http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true. This one’s an entirely different animal (instrumental), called “Thumper.” I’d label it as “Muzak with a fun vibe.” 3. http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... ream=trueA driving electronic instrumental, called “Metallic.” This is my first time posting my music to get some input, but please, don't be gentle. Cut ‘em up, and slam as you see fit (but give me some suggestions for improvement to go along with that, please!).Thanks so much,- Logan

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Would you raise your hand during these ones?

Post by stick » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:11 am

1. I got through the 1st chorus before my hand went up. Like often happened at the panel I got distracted by the production before I could hear the lyric and melody. The vocal has decent emotion, but the pitch problems suck me away from hearing what you're saying everytime. AutoTune it. Everyone's doing it. I doubt this would make it as "Broadcast Ready" production. It's a fine song demo, but as we kept hearing on the panels, it's got ALL be there or it's not going to get through. 2. Pretty cool. It's hard to tell if the mix is right with the lower bandwidth mp3s that come off the TAXI site, but it felt like the high end was a little muted overall. A lot of the ideas are nice, but I felt like it needed to go somewhere. It's pretty static all the way through. I can see this getting forwarded. 3. Cool synth line... the drums are too fake sounding, or not fake enough sounding. Maybe crunch 'em up to make them much nastier. Same comment here... it didn't ever go anywhere. And as the bass line got more "improvised" sounding I lost interest. Generally simple works best for underscore. If you're going to do a tune with only 2 elements both must be stellar. In this case, both were sorta plain. Maybe some filter sweeps on the bass, or funky delays, or vary the rhythm or something. Keep it up... you'll get there!

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much Stick, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for...Question though - in #2 you said " I can see this..." Just want to make sure you didn't forget the "t" at the end of that "can" If anyone has any more comments, lay 'em on me!

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:29 pm

No, that's right. I think it will get forwarded. But then again, I'm no screener!