Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Post Reply
User avatar
roguenoisemachine
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

Post by roguenoisemachine » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:07 am

Hi forum friends,

Great news! I received an offer to sign one of my songs to a publisher who deals predominantly with sync. My concern is that the term of the deal is in perpetuity and I would love your input.
So far, I've only ever signed 1-3 year term deals. I've always enjoyed knowing I can get out of a contract if they don't seem to get anything done with my tracks.

From the website it seems like a pretty well established indie publisher who has had a lot of decent placements on major networks and shows. It's a typical split, I keep 100% writers share, they take 100% publisher share, but then they also take 10% off the sync fee BEFORE the 50/50 split.

I wouldn't give it too much thought if it were a library track that took me half a day, but this is one of my artist tracks and I usually spend a good amount of time and some money on them.

Anyone have any input/opinions? Ever sign away a track in perpetuity and regret it? I also realize this may be a great connection for future work.

TIA!

User avatar
ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:42 am
Contact:

Re: Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

Post by ttully » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi roguenoisemachine!

I have signed many many tracks in perpetuity.
And with the ones that were only for a few years I... have never taken a track back.
And yes.... I have spent a long time writing some of the tracks!

And you getting 45% of a sync fee is not that much less than 50%....
And it is a lot better than nothing!

My 45% worth,
Tim

User avatar
VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:47 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boise, Idaho
Contact:

Re: Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:37 am

Sign it, then write more music.

~~Matt

User avatar
Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4327
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

Post by Kolstad » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:11 am

I'm in the other camp here (but not successful nor very experienced as the two gents above are). Wonder why they take the extra 10. I would be careful and maybe wheigh up with your overall portfolio (eg. if you already have signed away many on these terms). Not so much because it means a lot in one particular instance, but because if it is becoming the new normal, and the next level for them is 15-20, then you are basically accepting that they can get your best tracks for less (and less). Libraries are always pushing the envelope, and you want to shop for the best deals (all things considered). As you say, it is first drawer material.. in the end, you have to feel good about it.

User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1176
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:32 am

Do they get placements ? If so sign it and move on. It's not like there's a finite of songs you can write...it's all a crap shoot anyway. Just gotta play the % shots.

Mark

User avatar
roguenoisemachine
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

Post by roguenoisemachine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:43 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:37 am
Sign it, then write more music.

~~Matt
Yass!

User avatar
roguenoisemachine
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

Post by roguenoisemachine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:43 am

ttully wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:37 pm
Hi roguenoisemachine!

I have signed many many tracks in perpetuity.
And with the ones that were only for a few years I... have never taken a track back.
And yes.... I have spent a long time writing some of the tracks!

And you getting 45% of a sync fee is not that much less than 50%....
And it is a lot better than nothing!

My 45% worth,
Tim
Great stuff! Thanks :)

User avatar
roguenoisemachine
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

Post by roguenoisemachine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 am

Kolstad wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:11 am
I'm in the other camp here (but not successful nor very experienced as the two gents above are). Wonder why they take the extra 10. I would be careful and maybe wheigh up with your overall portfolio (eg. if you already have signed away many on these terms). Not so much because it means a lot in one particular instance, but because if it is becoming the new normal, and the next level for them is 15-20, then you are basically accepting that they can get your best tracks for less (and less). Libraries are always pushing the envelope, and you want to shop for the best deals (all things considered). As you say, it is first drawer material.. in the end, you have to feel good about it.
That's definitely a silent concern and I think it's the reason I wrote this post to start with, but at the same time I'm watching Taxi TV and "create, pitch, forget" is resonating. I've been guilty of holding tracks back because I didn't like a deal and you know what happened with that track? Nothing :lol:

I think in the end this particular company had a good enough track record that signing the contract felt like a good decision!

User avatar
roguenoisemachine
Active
Active
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nashville, TN
Contact:

Re: Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

Post by roguenoisemachine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:32 am
Do they get placements ? If so sign it and move on. It's not like there's a finite of songs you can write...it's all a crap shoot anyway. Just gotta play the % shots.

Mark
Thanks Mark, truth. Yes they get placements. I signed. :D

User avatar
Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4327
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Would you sign a song to a publisher with these terms?

Post by Kolstad » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:24 am

roguenoisemachine wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 am
Kolstad wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:11 am
I'm in the other camp here (but not successful nor very experienced as the two gents above are). Wonder why they take the extra 10. I would be careful and maybe wheigh up with your overall portfolio (eg. if you already have signed away many on these terms). Not so much because it means a lot in one particular instance, but because if it is becoming the new normal, and the next level for them is 15-20, then you are basically accepting that they can get your best tracks for less (and less). Libraries are always pushing the envelope, and you want to shop for the best deals (all things considered). As you say, it is first drawer material.. in the end, you have to feel good about it.
That's definitely a silent concern and I think it's the reason I wrote this post to start with, but at the same time I'm watching Taxi TV and "create, pitch, forget" is resonating. I've been guilty of holding tracks back because I didn't like a deal and you know what happened with that track? Nothing :lol:

I think in the end this particular company had a good enough track record that signing the contract felt like a good decision!
I think you made the right desicions, both by being concerned and by signing on the basis of their track record. Best of luck!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests