2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Post Reply
User avatar
Casey H
King of the World
King of the World
Posts: 12300
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by Casey H » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:44 am

Kelil wrote:I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to do business.
These two things are often not inseparable. Even if "friends" is the wrong word, "business relationships" are keys to success.

Venting your dissappointment as to how things turned out with this listing and your submissions is fine. But you publicly accused a company of false advertising, laziness, etc. Before the public rant, wouldn't it have been better to send a polite and professional email to headscreener, explaining why you were upset about this? (e.g. the listing wording, this return vs. other forwards, etc)...

Honestly, if I thought the screener was wrong here, I would say so. I have before about other returns including my own. They get it right most of the time but they are not programmed robots. Here, my own read of the listing based on reading Taxi listings for years, and the retro-nature of the submissions (which was very nicely explained by the screener), have me agreeing with the screener.

Believe me or not, behind the scenes, there is a lot of networking whereby members refer leads and contacts to others to their close, trusted peers. I know there have been times when I heard about an opportunity, thought it would be perfect for someone, and dropped them a PM or email about it. But one has to truly trust in the other person's professionalism before even thinking of doing that.

You can be professsional without being an (your words) ass-licker.

I hope today finds you calmer than yesterday. A belated Merry Christmas and best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Casey

User avatar
davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4172
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:57 am
Location: Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Contact:

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by davewalton » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:11 am

The answer:
Kelil wrote:I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to do business.
The question:

Give a title to a class or panel topic that you'll never find at the Taxi Rally, Billboard/ASCAP Music Conference or any other professional music conference. :D

User avatar
Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 am
Contact:

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by Kelil » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:27 am

@ Sedge: So I come out with term ass licker and I'm percieved as someone who is die hard rock'n'roll all of a sudden? Gosh, the Rolling stones, Ozzy Osbourne and the sex pistols were much more Rock'n'roll than me and before and after they got signed. Which shows that it's the music that matters most to some of the big shot labels out there. I on the other hand do not hold the Rock'nroll status at all. I have two beers on a Friday evening watchin some Only Fools and Horses, and that about sums up my rock'n'roll life.

What I'm seeing here is people deciding to latch on to my behaviour as opposed to responding to my actual argument/post call it whatever you please. The term lazy for the screener was not designed as an insult but a better term could have been used. Screeners are also known to be mindless of the terms they use when critqing us too as I got called kermit the frog by one screener in the past. It's not a perfect world to reiterate a statement made by casey within this thread.

@Chuck: Nobody is asking you to argue. It's a discussion, the idea of the discussion is to be objective enough so we can help each other come to a better conclusion/understanding of the listing. If you want to choose people to work with because they are nice guys then so be it. Thats your responsability. I choose to look past peoples behaviour and look for the dollar signs much like the major labels that dealt with troubled souls such as the sex pistols and Ossy Osbourne.

@Casey: Ok so I'm now being told that I cant come in and rave about a review in a forum that invites me to? Whether I liked it or hated it? I came in to get some ideas first before looking like a goonie in front of the head screener. False adverstising sounds like legalistic bull behaviour I do agree but for heavens sake I'm not GOING TO SUE taxi :lol: for $10? LOL I'm only trying to help taxi as much as they try to help me. Business relationships is about looking beyond behaviour and seeing the talent the other person has. I dont judge anyone on your behaviour. Granted that some publishers cant do this and there is always a line one should draw or a level on which one is capable of dealing with any person according to their own strengths and weaknesses.

@sedge and Mazz. You both wanna give me a lesson in the written word but when reviewing some of your posts I think you should also be taking a dose of your own medicine prescribed of course with the best intentions.

User avatar
sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:40 am
Gender: Male
Location: Wallica & Gromit land, UK
Contact:

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by sedge » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:45 am

Kelil wrote:@ Sedge: So I come out with term ass licker and I'm percieved as someone who is die hard rock'n'roll all of a sudden?
nahh just clutching at straws as to why you rise to or choose the "them . us" route, a possible answer, wasn't so no worries
Kelil wrote:@sedge and Mazz. You both wanna give me a lesson in the written word but when reviewing some of your posts I think you should also be taking a dose of your own medicine prescribed of course with the best intentions.
nahh again, just trying to help a friend out who making himself look like a dork on public record, I don't get paid to do this, nor am I the king of the comms haha.

just to help, a mate.

I'd hope I have someone to tell me the same if I drop an outburst of the rightly wrong offensive. I would hope so, that is what I find here and what makes this forum a welcome place.

Sedge

User avatar
guitaroboe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 658
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:46 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Europe
Contact:

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by guitaroboe » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:59 am

Hey,
I read everyone posts here very carefully and even though I was not going to jump in, I will give it
a go. First things first: happy holidays to all!!!
Stephen, I'm sure you are a phenomenal musician and I can only admire your passion about your music.
You do need to understand that even though you are here 'to do business' you will have a hard time doing it
without any real friends. How do I know it? I owe all my TAXI success to 2 factors: hard work and my TAXI friends.
All these people here gave you pearls of their collective wisdom and yes we all learn constantly and get forwarded and
returned ALL the time! Sure, a screener or a listing might cause me some momentary frustration but I can't allow myself
to get all fired up about it! I gotta move on and keep busy. The music business is all about YES and NO, it's about what fits
and what doesn't...according to someone's opinion. If my pitch for a gig did not convince-even though I thought it was perfect for it-
I just move on to the next gig. I have a family to feed and music is my only source of income! I do rely on my music AND the relationships
I keep developing day in and day out. My TAXI friends (they KNOW who they are) keep my inspired and help me ALL the time.
Let's end this thread on that positive note!
regards
Adonis

User avatar
sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:40 am
Gender: Male
Location: Wallica & Gromit land, UK
Contact:

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by sedge » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:03 am

Kelil wrote:@sedge and Mazz. You both wanna give me a lesson in the written word but when reviewing some of your posts I think you should also be taking a dose of your own medicine prescribed of course with the best intentions.
PS: would be fab if in future you do spot things in my posts that I can say better etc. I feel like a tiny fish in a very big pond, with some cool fish swimming about.

My only voice to learnin at Taxi is here on the boards. My heart is in the right place and would love to be able to translate that better in type. Peer 2 Peer crit is the tricky one, sometimes making an ouch! So please pull me up anytime you (or anyone really) spot things and I will always be very thankful.

Cheers

User avatar
Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 am
Contact:

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by Kelil » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:16 am

guitaroboe wrote:Hey,
I read everyone posts here very carefully and even though I was not going to jump in, I will give it
a go. First things first: happy holidays to all!!!
Stephen, I'm sure you are a phenomenal musician and I can only admire your passion about your music.
You do need to understand that even though you are here 'to do business' you will have a hard time doing it
without any real friends. How do I know it? I owe all my TAXI success to 2 factors: hard work and my TAXI friends.
All these people here gave you pearls of their collective wisdom and yes we all learn constantly and get forwarded and
returned ALL the time! Sure, a screener or a listing might cause me some momentary frustration but I can't allow myself
to get all fired up about it! I gotta move on and keep busy. The music business is all about YES and NO, it's about what fits
and what doesn't...according to someone's opinion. If my pitch for a gig did not convince-even though I thought it was perfect for it-
I just move on to the next gig. I have a family to feed and music is my only source of income! I do rely on my music AND the relationships
I keep developing day in and day out. My TAXI friends (they KNOW who they are) keep my inspired and help me ALL the time.
Let's end this thread on that positive note!
regards
Adonis
Thanks Adonis. This is not simple frustration. When a screener is completely wrong on a listing or has made a mistake in a listing he needs to be taken up on it. I dont have the money to be spending for a screener to get it wrong. Screeners are allowed to get away with murder on Taxi listings and even Michael himself informed Guitarhacker that some of the screeners were quite liberal in the forwards they gave with regards to his return. His song was an obvious forward. But hey the screeners get away with it and get to keep their paycheck but Guitarhacker just loses out on 10 bucks? Come on. We are treated like scrounging dogs desperate for a deal rather than customers sometimes.

Happy New Year.

User avatar
sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:40 am
Gender: Male
Location: Wallica & Gromit land, UK
Contact:

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by sedge » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Kelil wrote:Screeners are allowed to get away with murder on Taxi listings and even Michael himself informed Guitarhacker that some of the screeners were quite liberal in the forwards they gave with regards to his return. His song was an obvious forward. But hey the screeners get away with it and get to keep their paycheck but Guitarhacker just loses out on 10 bucks? Come on. We are treated like scrounging dogs desperate for a deal rather than customers sometimes.
ouch*

I remember when you started this forum
If you add up the pages and pages of help you have been sent out of friendship here you could have your own 'Be a Musician' book
.. everything from legal, to Bio, to song crits. Pages and pages of folks generous time and expertise you have so far from the people in this thread and the forum.

"I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to do business. " Is probably the most arrogant and ignorant thing I have heard on this forum from a member that has already received many many hours of friendly help.

We did agree early on that the listing could be read both ways, the majority and the veterans, who have been reading listings for the past 8+ years, disagree that your way of reading it is right, and so job done, thread answered. who cares what you do with the "She Blew me Off" tune from now on, we all have our own returns and songs to work on.

Good luck and hope you get Blown off again to make another one like it for 2012 bc all we have heard from you on this forum is "She Blew me Off" and very little Peer2Peer or other Craft sharing back from you in all fact.

Not often I get a bit riled, whahhayy, pinch myself!

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:22 am
Contact:

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by shoodBworkin » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Why would you guys get so upset just because dude might hit up the head screener for a refund? That's between he and the head screener and no one else. To offer to Paypal dude his refund is hardly productive. I for one would like to hear of his experience attempting to get a refund from the outfit itself, not from some other guy. Peace Out :)

User avatar
Casey H
King of the World
King of the World
Posts: 12300
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: 2/2 return from screener 226 ( possible refund? )

Post by Casey H » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:55 pm

shoodBworkin wrote:Why would you guys get so upset just because dude might hit up the head screener for a refund? That's between he and the head screener and no one else. To offer to Paypal dude his refund is hardly productive. I for one would like to hear of his experience attempting to get a refund from the outfit itself, not from some other guy. Peace Out :)
This is a PUBLIC forum. Coming on here and accusing Taxi of false advertising and laziness is not exactly "between him and the head screener", is it? Not to mention saying on a public forum that Taxi treats its members like dogs.

Personally, I think Taxi should refund him his $10 as well as his annual membership fee, terminating his membership. I mean who wants to stay a member of an organization that treats its members like canines anyway?

Casey

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests