Ear Problem - Tumor?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Ear Problem - Tumor?

Post by elser » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:13 am

Hey Ern, that's a big one. I'm sure you know that Beethoven wrote and conducted the 9th symphony while completely deaf. I hope that whatever happens you can take that kind of example and learn from it. I only know you through these boards, but I believe from what I know of you, your spirit and will is gonna get you through and somehow make the best of it. I'm hopin' and praying for the best and trusting that whatever happens, it won't stop you!Elser

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:16 am

Hi Ern, I'm sorry to hear about all of this. Definitely praying for you and that you have all the necessary information to get through this with your hearing in tact. Hang tough and keep the faith. With all the technology available to improve and restore hearing, I'm sure there are many promising options, whatever it ends up being. K

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:11 am

Apr 24, 2008, 8:12am, walter327 wrote:I agree with Dave. Positive thoughts are very important. They also have a new laser at MPRI in Bloomington, Indiana-Midwest Proton Radiotherapy Institute. They can really focus in on an area the size of a pin point with this stuff and drastically reduce the possibilities of permanent damage from surgery. The lady there is Jennifer at 1(812)349-5074. They'll be happy to send you info to assist you in a decision and further your knowledge. My stuff is stable. But, I'm keeping it in mind.Bless ya, Ern.Hey Walter,I finally talked to Jennifer at MPRI, and she was very helpful. She's sending a DVD of their proton treatment procedures.She also said that Loma Linda Hospital here in SoCal does proton therapy for acoustic neuromas. Here's their thing:Acoustic neuromas are benign tumors that involve the eighth cranial nerve. This is the nerve that controls most of our hearing. Results following traditional surgery reveal that more than 50 percent of patients may experience a significant loss of hearing over time. Fractionation of radiation treatment has the potential to decrease late normal tissue damage that is often seen following single large doses of radiosurgery. Loma Linda University Medical Center delivers small doses over radiation over a number of weeks. The precision of radiosurgery is also used to support treatment. The goal is to achieve a high rate of local tumor control while minimizing hearing loss associated with other forms of therapy.Looks to me that's the way to go! Thanks for the info --- I appreciate it!BTW, my MRI is scheduled for a week from today, on May 5th. I hope they don't find a tumor, but if there is one I'll talk to the doctor about proton treatment. Much better than cutting a hole in my skull!Best Regards,Ern

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:24 am

im doing my "no damn tumor" dance for you Ern, it looks quitepathetic, but thats where the power comes from!: )Here's to your excellent heath and the recovery of your hearing!

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:57 am

Nice job, walt, finding that info for Ern.Ern, this is much like gamma knife stuff, MUCH better than whole dosing the entire area (we're talking inches but I'm making it sound like a parking lot, lol). A very very good choice for you.Good luck with the MRI results. Waiting to hear the results is the worst part of it. Do music, it'll keep you distracted!Thinkin' of ya,squids

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:01 am

Ern this proton treatment looks very promising....glad to hear that your options are looking better and better. Ditto on Squiddy's comment to Walt.I'll be thinking about you when you have your MRI....hope the results are as favorable as possible.

bayouandme
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bayouandme » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:16 am

I debated whether to become part of this discussion because I am both a practicing eye doctor and researcher for a major pharmaceutical company. If you were my patient and needed a referral I would say these things:1. The sooner you have the diagnostic tests done the better. The sooner a diagnosis can be established the more time to discuss options and greater specificity.2. I have never quite understood "Best" hospital, doctor or whatever except that there are different levels of care, skills and options. In any area of this country you will find certain doctors with higher levels of skill based on God given skill and number of procedures done. You need to look at what they treat, what are the outcomes and how do they differ from others. When looking at specific procedures ask about their outcomes compared to averages. I have certain referral doctors that have better outcomes with specific procedures. 3. Your doctor should be willing and able to discuss your concerns and should be able to give you a couple of good options and reasons. They should also be able to give you names for a 2nd and/or 3rd opinion. I am always willing to give concerned patients names of quality providers for a second opinion. If I truly believe in my skills I should welcome oversight and a second opinion.4. 90% of what we worry about never happens. Therefore, it is wasted energy.5. I don't have all the answers and never claimed to be God but I am willing to listen. If I don't have an answer I will find someone who does. Whoever you go with should have resources available to you.6. Go in positive, treat everyone with respect, ask questions and in the end it is another journey called life.
Hard Work Beats Talent That Does Not Work Hard.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi bayouandme,First, I have to get this out of the way:WHAT'S UP, DOC? There, I feel better already! Seriously, your words mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for that detailed response! I will take your suggestions to heart.All the best,Ern

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Hey Ern,I is thinking about ya, hoping we can all get out our "no tumor" dancing shoes and go wild. In the meantime keep busy with that wonderful looking home studio you got there!Let us know about your results, looks like all thoughts are with you Lindsey

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:26 pm

yeah man, this is a crappy set back, but you will get through it, and even in a worst case, it isnt the end, you just end up with a normal ear, and an auratone ear *snicker*, but in all seriousness, just gotta put some fight in your dog, and youll get yourself sorted out man, I had something kinda like this happen, I had cancer on my pointer finger of my left hand (fret hand, i also play piano) and I had a choice to either risk it spreading or for them to try and excise it, I ended up telling em to go for it and for a few months my finger lost a lot of mobility, which was one of the risks, complete or partial paralysis, but you know what i did? guitar and piano drills, and I managed to work it back up to the point you would never know except for the big circular scar on the top of my finger, you can push through this, regardless of the out come, and if you are ready to take it on head on, your chances of not getting set back go way up, they told me that i would never play piano or guitar again, at the level I played, and they where right, I practiced so much getting my finger back in shape that im TWICE as good
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe