Post by milfus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:53 am

well that and theres the option to render out peices ahead of time too
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: East West Orchestra Upgrade

Post by mazz » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:32 am

Every instrument you load in Play probably has a convolution reverb associated with it. Turn it off on the stuff that doesn't need it and you'll free up some CPU.I'm planning on running Play Orchestra on my 64 bit XP machine, replacing Kontakt 3 on that machine until it gets a 64 bit facelift. I already run Ministry of Rock, Gypsy and Voices of Passion on my G5 (still on 10.4 for the time being) and will be adding Stormdrum 2 shortly (salivating over that one!!!).All in all I'm a big East West fan. Their sounds tend to be big, fat and warm sounding. I like that "analog" vibe that they bring.Cheers!!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

clanmorgan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by clanmorgan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:43 am

Yes the convolution reverbs do take up alot of power but I do enjoy them. Im a big fan of the East/West (soundsonline) tools. In addition to Ministry of Rock I also have RA and Symphonic Choir and love that they dont take too much horsepower. On the heavy CPU instruments I do tend to freeze them off to audio to free up the system resources but of course it disrupts my workflow... ahhh.. what $$$ would do for a new full blown system......

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:28 am

Just thought I'd revive this thread for the moment. Got a hold of the new PLAY upgrade for EW Gold XP. All I can say is...WOW! The sounds are extremely PHHHAAAT!! And they sound even more realistic than the previous version. They've unleashed one helluva powerful sounding library there! As mentioned earlier in this thread, the cost to upgrade to PLAY from Gold XP (or the bundle) is just the cost of shipping if you had purchased between some specific dates. Here's that link again in case anyone is interested. Make sure you click on the "Purchase/Upgrade" link to see if you qualify.http://www.soundsonline.com/EastWest-Qu ... 177.htmlAs far as the ilok, I had already purchased one way back when I first bought EWQLSO Silver, so it's been sitting on my desk almost a year now. And I purchased it when it was at reduced price. I think it was about only about $20 bucks at that time, if I remember correctly. Might've been even less. They seem to cost more now on other sites that I've seen them advertised on.This may change at some point (I hope not), but I was able to load the previous standalone versions of Silver & Gold XP with no problem. So HOPEFULLY, whatever problems that were mentioned in an earlier post about losing your license to previous versions after aquiring PLAY are not true (fingers crossed, I could be wrong). I believe there may be a few sounds and things in previous versions of Silver & Gold XP, that may not necessarily have been included in PLAY. In any event, I'd still like to have access to my previous versions if the need should arise to pull/use something outta those if something can't be found or wasn't included in the newer versions. Sounds like they've got the majority of it covered, but ya' never know.Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get Silver PLAY for FREE. Didn't qualify for that one. DANG! I realized in Silver there are some sounds/articulations and things that aren't in Gold XP (and vice versa) in the previous versions, and I thought this would be the case with PLAY. I'm not 100% sure though. I'll hafta' do a close comparison to see the differences in PLAY Silver & PLAY Gold. They may in fact be the same identical libraries. When you install Gold PLAY, it also seems to load libraries from Silver PLAY as well. That's where my confusion lies. Are these libraries the same? If so, I may have wasted my money. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first.Nevertheless, the sounds are really beefed up in both versions. If you qualify for the free upgrade for any version, and you've already got iloks (or don't mind purchasing one), by all means, go for it. It's definitely worth WAAAYYY more than the shipping or ilok fees IMO.I-468

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:46 am

I went for the big slam! Got the Platinum Super-Duper Everything-Under-The-Sun-Including-The-Kitchen-Sink version in both 16bit and 24bit samplings. Then I didn't have enough hard drive space on my "instruments" drive to store the 196 GIGABYTES of sound samples. I now have a newer, bigger drive for my streaming samples. Maybe if I start loading them up now I can have the Play version installed by three weeks from next Tuesday. Your post has given me motivation to get that going though.

tinozigzag
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tinozigzag » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:01 am

I have just installed the up graded Play version and did not realise that it has its own sound I thought that it was only the Play engine.I probably loaded every thing on the same drive.If I want to separate the engine from the library again, can any one tell me how I do it!!I also noticed that it has to be re-autorised again with an ILock.TINO

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:03 am

Oct 3, 2008, 7:46am, davewalton wrote:I went for the big slam! Got the Platinum Super-Duper Everything-Under-The-Sun-Including-The-Kitchen-Sink version in both 16bit and 24bit samplings. Quote: Maybe if I start loading them up now I can have the Play version installed by three weeks from next Tuesday. Yeah it does take some time doesn't it? I'm sure yours'll probably take a little longer. I do feel ya' on the TIME issue. Quote:Your post has given me motivation to get that going though. Cool! Glad I could help! I'm positive you won't regret it.I-468

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:17 am

Hey Tino! I ain't no expert at this, sometimes it works for some situations and sometimes it doesn't. But possibly locating the libraries on the C drive and doing a copy & paste or a drag & drop to another hard drive might work? And as far as re-authorizing, all I can say is plug the ilok in, and re-authorize it again, after re-locating the library though. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment. Hope that helps.I-468

tinozigzag
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tinozigzag » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:15 am

Just for anyone info in case they need to re direct the EW library!!You can drag the library to your external drive. You will then need to reset the directory by control clicking on the library entry for the orchestra in the favorites window of play, in browserSet the directory to your Gold Instruments folder.

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:47 am

Good job Tino! Glad everything worked for ya'!I-468