If you had to spend $2-3,000 in 30 days?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

flood
Impressive
Impressive

If you had to spend $2-3,000 in 30 days?

Post by flood » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:32 am

What would you buy?I have a small windfall and am considering a couple things. Could go a little higher if I wanted to, but I am generally conservative with such purchases.Omnisphere.A cool new laptop for music and my voiceover production.Any cool new gadgets or programs that you have been eyeing lately?I am pretty well set on hardware, mics and preamps for my studio, with a dozen or more of each of those items.I have orch samples covered (EWQL) and most styles of sounds are pretty well covered, too.What are all the cool kids messing around with these days?One thing I could use is a new midi keyboard. Not for gigging, as I don't perform live, but something feature packed for studio and maybe poolside on weekends.Fun time, having a little extra, and appreciate any thoughts you are willing to share.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: If you had to spend $2-3,000 in 30 days?

Post by edteja » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:19 am

A trip to Costa Rica to hang at the beach.You can take the laptop if you want!
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:25 am

Broadway Big Band.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

flood
Impressive
Impressive

Post by flood » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:40 am

Will have to look into broadway big band.Btw, I hope this didn't come off wrong. I certainly meant no arrogance or whatever. I am just very happy to have a rare windfall and honestly curious about what neat toys others have or wish they had, related to music or production.Big Band IS one area I am lacking in, badly, and a popular one at that.Thanks for that suggestion!

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:38 pm

I'd say, without hesitation, that your money would BEST be spent sending it to tedsingingfox for his new MAC and some ProTools classes... But that's just MY opinion...
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

flood
Impressive
Impressive

Post by flood » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:08 pm

HAHA Ted.I assume from the content of this, you got my PM?I haven't received anything back as yet, but get in touch and I will work on that next week,Best wishes!

flood
Impressive
Impressive

Post by flood » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:26 pm

Oh, and DRUM ROOOOOLLLLLLLLLL. . . . .. I bought one thing today.Very exciting purchase, too.A hard drive.Yippee.Well, it's 1 TB anyway, and the things are getting less expensive all the time. About $240.00.Not exactly glamorous, but one thing I can always use more of is storage. Some of the sample libraries, like Ivory, EWQL, and others are just getting ridiculous in size.Thank goodness for dropping drive prices.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Oct 4, 2008, 4:08pm, flood wrote:HAHA Ted.I assume from the content of this, you got my PM?I haven't received anything back as yet, but get in touch and I will work on that next week,Best wishes!I did. But I'm in no place to take the time to respond. (I don't have internet at home, so I'm in a public place and about to head home...) I appreciate the PM, SO MUCH.Promise to get back to you tomorrow...Thanks, Flood.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

stephen
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stephen » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:33 pm

I'd save about half and then get some stuff like a mic a preamp so I can start recording voice.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:27 pm

I'd make sure I was going to the Rally, and while there, I would take the advantage of having mentors on hand & pay consulting fees to meet with those who I felt would help me gain more knowledge or give me in person feedback, so that I could move forward in my career. I would also hang on to the rest of the money, as there are some fab deals on guitars and other gear, and in the book room, at the Rally
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website