New Poster, New Rally-er question about Instruments ?

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jameskand

New Poster, New Rally-er question about Instruments ?

Post by jameskand » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi All, I am looking forward to this event. I travel quite a bit with the day job, and when staying domestic I try to find a band and carry a sax with me and sit-in. Are there "Jams" in the evenings? If so, would a sax (with my wireless rig) be out of place? (typically anytime you have at least three musicians together you have 4 guitars between them, so I dont want to add to that pile) OR, should the instruments stay at home.

Also, happy to report that my Frequent Flier miles gave me a better rate if I sayed until Monday, so I'm in it for the long haul. Looking forward to meeting Y'all.

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New Poster, New Rally-er question about Instruments ?

Post by hazineju » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi James and welcome to the forum. There are spontaneous, usually small jam sessions all over the place through the weekend. There are also two open mics going on in the evenings. It's true there are a lot of guitars, and people are happy to share. If it's not too big of a pain to carry and you want to play, I say bring the sax.

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:42 pm

i just noticed the wireless rig thing. you probably don't need to bring that if it's heavy or bulky (i don't know anything about sax rigs, i know you have those tiny microphones but i don't know what else is involved)

jameskand

Post by jameskand » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:23 am

Hey, thanks for the reply....I was beginning to think this thing wasn't on. I travel a lot for my work, and have been insanely busy scheduling trips around gigs. So busy that I still haven't heard the name of the hotel, but I'll search tonight, and if I can't find it, call taxi later. Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting all y'all. :D

instantminstrel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by instantminstrel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Hey James,
Lots of jams around, but since they are mostly acoustic, your sax should stand up fine without the amplification.
Dave

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:02 am

And rumor has it there will be another abundance of ukulele jams this year.

YEAH!
Suz
Chief Ukulele Officer

bete
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bete » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:25 pm

If I remember correctly, they ask us to hold down the noise on Wed. I don't remember for sure about Thurs. but Friday and Saturday we are free to jam to our hearts' content -- and we do!
How many remember the Native American drum last year?
Bette

jameskand

Post by jameskand » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Suz, I do have an electric ukulele, and Bette, it would be interesting to hear it through a stack of marshals, but at this point I'm still thinking the tenor sax. Heading off to Peru and Argentina in less than a week, but really looking forward to returning to attend the Taxi Rally.

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Ooh! The native American jam last year was amazing! :-) I videotaped some of it (now where the heck did I put the video?).

James -- what kind of electric uke do you have? I have a solid body electric, but will most likely bring my acoustic soprano, in which I recently had a pick up installed. Hmmm. Uke and Tenor Sax sounds good to me!

See you there!
Suz

jameskand

Post by jameskand » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:11 am

Hi Suz, and I thought you were kidding. I have a lanikai S-teq a/e tenor Uke. ( the cutaway helps you rock out on the 18th fret. ). Ok, so I was in Maui, it sounded great and the shape was cool. The guy that performed my wedding ceremony performed with one of the same brand. The Uke out-lasted the marriage. I know, that's a insensitive thing to say. So, I apologize sincerely to the craftsman that assembled the fine piece of instrument. Even if it was an assembly line miles away from it's Oahu' namesake. Your product was made to last. Bravissimo. I guess I'll stick with the sax. I guess I could put a penny whistle or melodica in the bag for fun. We should strive for the most eclectic jam session ever. Who's got the theremin? Bagpipes? Looking forward to it.