NEWBIE needs a quick listen

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: NEWBIE needs a quick listen

Post by andreh » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:29 am

Quote:I wouldhope that Christianity is NOT like any business but I understand that being a Christianmusician would be much harder than a non Christian since you do have a standardto try to reach for. Which puts more pressures on what you do and how you do it. If your not really in it for Christ it soon becomes evident. The path of least resistanceis well traveled.Fortunately those of us who are striving for success in non-Christian markets don't have to worry about reaching for a standard or encountering any resistance along our well-traveled paths...that's why it's so easy for us to write great songs and get them played in the mainstream media! Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

kouly
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kouly » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:41 am

Quote: Kouly wroteIf your not really in it for Christ it soon becomes evident. Quote:Fortunately those of us who are striving for success in non-Christian markets don't have to worry about reaching for a standard or encountering any resistance along our well-traveled paths...that's why it's so easy for us to write great songs and get them played in the mainstream media! AndreSince I was speaking as a Christian in a spiritual context, I was referring to the added difficulties that are encountered by Christian artists on top of and in addition to the problems that anyone in this business face. Anyone who is striving for excellence in creating music in the business has no choice but to reach for the standards for professionalism in their music or their music goes nowhere. I would never dismiss the standards that professionals in this industry have to strive for. The fact is I was speaking of another set of completely different standards. Just as it would not matter very much to my wife if I did not write in styles appropriate for the genre. Itprobably would not matter to most music libraries if I was having a extra marital affair.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:12 am

Quote:I wouldhope that Christianity is NOT like any business but I understand that being a Christianmusician would be much harder than a non Christian since you do have a standardto try to reach for. Which puts more pressures on what you do and how you do it. If your not really in it for Christ it soon becomes evident. The path of least resistanceis well traveled.[Putting back the original quote I responded to above to keep things in context]Quote:Quote: Kouly wroteIf your not really in it for Christ it soon becomes evident. Quote:Fortunately those of us who are striving for success in non-Christian markets don't have to worry about reaching for a standard or encountering any resistance along our well-traveled paths...that's why it's so easy for us to write great songs and get them played in the mainstream media! AndreSince I was speaking as a Christian in a spiritual context, I was referring to the added difficulties that are encountered by Christian artists on top of and in addition to the problems that anyone in this business face. Anyone who is striving for excellence in creating music in the business has no choice but to reach for the standards for professionalism in their music or their music goes nowhere. I would never dismiss the standards that professionals in this industry have to strive for. The fact is I was speaking of another set of completely different standards. Just as it would not matter very much to my wife if I did not write in styles appropriate for the genre. Itprobably would not matter to most music libraries if I was having a extra marital affair.Kouly-There is a unique set of challenges for Christian writers to overcome, and I applaud them for taking on those challenges. It's my perspective, though, that those challenges are merely different from what mainstream (or other style) writers face, not in addition to.Maybe you can share some examples that I'm not aware of; I don't think I'm getting the analogies you make in your last sentences.By the way, I'm not making this point to be argumentative...I just don't think it's accurate or fair to assume that non-Christians are held to, or hold themselves to, a lower standard (within or outside of a musical context).Andre

kouly
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kouly » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:25 pm

I can agree that it is different. I did not mean to say that a non Christian would beholding themselves to a lower standard. Hardly, but you admit it is a differentstandard. For example there are Muslims who choose to live in this country. I do not assumeto understand the different aspects of that society. It is as far removed from meas the moon. If any of them wanted to become professional song writers and submit toprojects in this country not only would they have to impress the powers that be in the industry they would have to still try to conform to what ever their beliefs held them to.That does not mean that my standards would be diminished because of any thing that they believed they had to do that I did not. It is just a different standard than the onethat concerns making music. So I do agree with you and I am not trying to split hairs. I also want to apologize to Anne for hijacking this thread. I love a good debate but not at the expense of the original discussion. Take care Andre

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:46 pm

Quote:I can agree that it is different. I did not mean to say that a non Christian would beholding themselves to a lower standard. Hardly, but you admit it is a differentstandard. Cool Kouly, no harm done. By the way, I love your signature quote! Can I borrow that sometime?Andre

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Quote:Quote: Cool Kouly, no harm done. By the way, I love your signature quote! Can I borrow that sometime?AndreIf you bite off more than you can chew.Then how do you chew like mad?

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:27 pm

Quote:Quote:Cool Kouly, no harm done. By the way, I love your signature quote! Can I borrow that sometime?AndreIf you bite off more than you can chew.Then how do you chew like mad? I believe that's called, "stretching your comfort zone."

kouly
Impressive
Impressive

Post by kouly » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:24 pm

By the way, I love your signature quote! Can I borrow that sometime?Have at it , be my guest. Of course if I show up at your door asking to borrow a cup of equal-izer I am sure you will return the favor.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:31 am

Quote:I have not been around the musical block that many times. I only vaguely understand what you mention aboutU2. From what I recall (and you can correct me if I am wrong) they started out asa Christian band (Sunday Bloody Sunday) and then got so popular the they kind of forgot about that aspect of their music. I was never a big follower of them. I wouldhope that Christianity is NOT like any business but I understand that being a Christianmusician would be much harder than a non Christian since you do have a standardto try to reach for. Which puts more pressures on what you do and how you do it. If your not really in it for Christ it soon becomes evident. The path of least resistanceis well traveled.Does this statement Quote:The path of least resistance is well traveled. mean that you think non-thumpers' music is less fulfilling, or worthy of being created? There may be a lot of people here that also believe adhering to any one religion's dogma is actually another path of least resistance. OK, maybe I'm the only one here that believes God exists, but doesn't go to church. Why would you allow yourself to focus on the thought that any one style of music is tougher to break into, or that Christians have a standard to reach for others do not? Yes, you are special, but your style of music is not as special as you are. The style of music is not really different from a pair of shoes. You just need to work on your music, like the rest of us. Is God around here somewhere critiquing songs? Perhaps, but would this Great Creator encourage one genre of music over another? When anyone creates music by recording or writing it, they are worshipping. They are answering the same call you do. If a Muslim writes songs and wants opinions from me, I'll help. Same with a transvestite, or a ten year old kid, or 90 year old grandma. Maybe someday Matto or Andre will ask me about something! Making music, any music, is an expression of God. We all belong. We all have a calling. steve I also use LogicPro on a G-5. We probably have a lot more than that in common.

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:27 am

The path of least resistance is well traveled. Wise words.