Post your Goals after attending the Rally

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Post your Goals after attending the Rally

Post by Casey H » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:21 am

Lazyknife wrote:Thanks Debra for your blog!

A while back I asked a friend what he really wanted to do. His answer was that he really wanted to do that particular course... It was like he just wanted to "drive the car" and didn't care where he would go. But what if the car breaks down? In his case that course is way too expensive. People get frustrated this way and can't see the alternatives! He could ride a bike, take the plane, a zeppelin, etc. So I understand what you say, Debra.

But isn't the goal for "every one" on the forum the same? Making money through music. So maybe the title of the thread is misleading. Is "Post your actions after attending the Rally" a better title. I know the goal "Making money through music" is very unspecific and it should probably be a lot more specific. How much money? Music in what way? When? etc. The five year plan comes to mind, for it is, I think, filled with goals.

Well just thinking aloud. Looking forward to part 2 of your blog!

Martijn
Well, "making money with music" is a long range goal... for many, 5+ years out. So breaking things up into a series of short range goals is always a good idea. Calling them "goals" or "actions" is just semantics. :)

:D Casey

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:21 am

Goal is make money from music
Strategy is five year plan
Small daily acttions towards a series of smaller goals as listed on this thread continues the progress towards the greater goal
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

shellsings
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shellsings » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks everyone for your posts

keep em coming!! and lets all encourage each other to achieve our goals and actions.

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:43 am

Casey H wrote:
Well, "making money with music" is a long range goal... for many, 5+ years out. So breaking things up into a series of short range goals is always a good idea. Calling them "goals" or "actions" is just semantics. :)

Clearly - Casey - you didn't read the blog post :o SMH

It's really not just semantics goals and actions are completely different things. Actions are what you do. Goals are what you want to have/be. And it's a difference that makes a difference in my experience.

Would it be useful for you all if I quoted your "goals" and identified which ones are goals, strageties or actions?

Debra

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:47 am

hummingbird wrote:Goal is make money from music
Small daily acttions towards a series of smaller goals as listed on this thread continues the progress towards the greater goal
That's a great way of looking at it. I would say that having a 5 year plan that you continually update is a strategy. The plan itself should be made up of those smaller goals which clearly lay out the mileposts on your way to the longer goal.

"And making money from music" - is a very generic and unspecific goal. It's like walking into a restaurant and ordering cow. Maybe you'll get the sirloin steak, but maybe you'll get tongue...

Isn't it better to state specifically exactly what you want? Aren't you more likely to manifest it that way?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:47 am

coachdebra wrote:
Casey H wrote:

Clearly - Casey - you didn't read the blog post :o SMH

It's really not just semantics goals and actions are completely different things. Actions are what you do. Goals are what you want to have/be. And it's a difference that makes a difference in my experience.

Would it be useful for you all if I quoted your "goals" and identified which ones are goals, strageties or actions?

Debra
My answer was purely in the context of lazyknife's post. Yes, goals and actions are different things... I was just saying that a long term goal (e.g. making money with music) needs shorter term goals/milestones/planning to get there. Don't we all violently agree on that? ;)

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:55 am

Lazyknife wrote:Thanks Debra for your blog!

A while back I asked a friend what he really wanted to do. His answer was that he really wanted to do that particular course... It was like he just wanted to "drive the car" and didn't care where he would go. But what if the car breaks down? In his case that course is way too expensive. People get frustrated this way and can't see the alternatives! He could ride a bike, take the plane, a zeppelin, etc. So I understand what you say, Debra.

But isn't the goal for "every one" on the forum the same? Making money through music. So maybe the title of the thread is misleading. Is "Post your actions after attending the Rally" a better title. I know the goal "Making money through music" is very unspecific and it should probably be a lot more specific. How much money? Music in what way? When? etc. The five year plan comes to mind, for it is, I think, filled with goals.

Well just thinking aloud. Looking forward to part 2 of your blog!

Martijn
Yes, exactly! And you'd be surprised how different that goal that everyone supposedly has when you get right down to the specifics. Beyond how much money and what kind of music. You need to also ask yourself what kind of lifestyle do I want? And how important is that to me? For example, if you want a really wealthy lifestyle of a pop star - are you willing to exchange your privacy for that lifestyle? Are you willing to be on the road 6-9 months out of the year in order to build that fan base? Where do you want to live? Who do you want to work with? How do you spend your days?

If you have a clear vision of all those things, and then create a 5 year plan filled with specific milepost goals, you'll be much better positioned to actually build that life.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:23 pm

coachdebra wrote:
hummingbird wrote:Goal is make money from music
That's a great way of looking at it. I would say that having a 5 year plan that you continually update is a strategy. The plan itself should be made up of those smaller goals which clearly lay out the mileposts on your way to the longer goal.

"And making money from music" - is a very generic and unspecific goal. It's like walking into a restaurant and ordering cow. Maybe you'll get the sirloin steak, but maybe you'll get tongue...

Isn't it better to state specifically exactly what you want? Aren't you more likely to manifest it that way?
I was defining the overall goal of pretty much any composer or songwriter on the forum.

The 5-year plan, as most of us know from attending the rally and reading about it here, forms the basis for the kind of clarity you're seeking when you ask how to state specifically exactly what you want. It stratigically sets out long term goals, actions towards those goals, and reasonable timelines to achieve them. Highly recommend this class/panel to any composer/songwriter attending the rally!

Mazz posted his notes from the class on his blog (from last year but still apply!) - http://johnmazzei.com/2011/10/31/the-5- ... rally-2011 - great reading for anyone developing goals/strategies/actions.

CK also wrote an awesome blog on the creative process - daily steps, eh?
http://composingkitchen.wordpress.com/2 ... thin-reps/
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:38 am

Casey H wrote: My answer was purely in the context of lazyknife's post. Yes, goals and actions are different things... I was just saying that a long term goal (e.g. making money with music) needs shorter term goals/milestones/planning to get there. Don't we all violently agree on that? ;)
I couldn't help ribbing b/c I'd just spent 700 words defining them! Of course, we completely agree!

I guess violently agreeing is better than violently disagreeing ... :lol: :lol:

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:20 am

Added another blog post to the Goals question.

http://artists-edge.com/are-goals-really-necessary/

I'll be completing my thoughts about Goals/Strategies/Actions in December's Newsletter - which I intend to get out early next week.

Debra