controllers when sequencing

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: controllers when sequencing

Post by mojobone » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Oct 7, 2008, 8:24am, ckbarlow wrote:Oct 4, 2008, 6:39am, anne wrote:What I'm trying to do is learn what other functions exist so I can learn to take advantage of them, if needed, and decide if its best to use a slider, knob, or pad for the control of different functions. That's why I was looking for a list of some sort. Pads are great as so-called momentary switches - it's ON while you're holding it and OFF when you're not (like a keyboard key, which is why they're nice for triggering samples and notes). They would also be good for resetting something to a nominal state. As a simple example, say you've assigned pan, CC# 10, to a knob; you could assign a pad to send CC# 10, value = 64 to instantly reset the track to dead center. (Not all that useful, but a simple example.)Pads are also fun to play in drum parts, in which case they're sending note ons/offs. (I typically just use the keys on my old Oxygen 8 kybd - even though I own an ancient DrumKat with 10 pads, and a set of sticks! The Oxy is so low-fuss, whereas the Kat is somewhere in the closet...)If you have the programming option (either in the Edirol or in the target software) to use a pad as a toggle - press once, it's ON, press again, it's OFF - then it could be a nice Mute or Solo button. The transport controls, you'd just use the Learn feature in your software. You don't need to know or care what CC# they employ; just make your software learn them. I have an Edirol UC-33e that I've done this with in Live (for performance) and Logic (for recording) - it's got 9 sliders, I think, and 20-something knobs, and transport buttons. Beyond the standard CC#s (1 = modulation, 7 = vol, 10 = pan, 64 = sustain, and so on) I couldn't tell you the other CC#s it sends, because with "learn" capability on the software end, it doesn't matter one iota.Also kinda depends how the keyboard and controls are laid out - what seems intuitive for you. Great info, there. Would you consider selling or trading that DrumKat? I've been kinda lookin' around for a DK10 or similar for drum programming.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone