My Guitar Center/M-Audio Nightmare

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My Guitar Center/M-Audio Nightmare

Post by matthoggard » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:08 am

Ahhh, Guitar Center. You either love em or hate em.I recently bought a mandolin there. First I had to find the guy working the acoustic room for the day. When i told him I was looking for a mandolin, he said he wasnt sure if they carried any. (this after I had already been looking at one in the locked glass case LMAO). I look at an inexpensive Fender. When he hands it to me I notice that the bridge is GONE! The wooden bridge is not even on the instrument. The strings sitting down on the body and bending over the bottom of the neck. I say hey man wheres the bridge? He looks stupefied. "Bridge"? he says. Im thinking wow they got a real piece of work in here today. So I look ata different mandolin. This one has a $900.00 tag on it. I give it strum and not only is it horribly out of tune, the 3rd fret is completely dead. No matter how I finger a chord the damn fret just buzzes and clanks. I look down the neck and its got a huge bow at the 3rd/4th fret. I say hey man this things messed up. He looks at it and says "looks fine to me". So i give this one back then he disappears. Im left to just stare stupidly at the locked glass case. Im about to leave when he comes back and says "so, can Ring that up for ya"? I said dude, you dont know anything about these instruments do you? He says " i normally work the live sound room". So its like Home Depot. They got plumbers working the electrical department and carpenters working the paint department?Anyway, I did end up with a nice ovation mandolin. I had to get the manager to help me.Not too enthused wit GC atm.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:22 am

Sept 30, 2008, 5:08am, matthoggard wrote:Ahhh, Guitar Center. You either love em or hate em.Yup! I stopped by yesterday (because GC is right on the way home from my studio) to buy a set of strings for my '63 Strat (I like Hybrid Slinkies). I've always cleaned the neck when I changed strings with cheap wood cleaner/polish ($5/can), but thought I'd ASK about what kind of cleaners they had.The salesman first pointed out some cleaners that were about $10. Then he asked me what kind of guitar I had. When I told him "a Strat," he said "Ah! HERE'S what you need!"A $30 cleaning kit! What a bunch of b.s. I told him to forget it. Ern

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:41 am

Someone help me because I'm seriously feeling GC calling me to get Cubase 4 on sale. HELP!!!!
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:02 am

Count to 10 and call someone else where they'll match the price. Repeating the same actions when they don't work for you is, you know, a real dumbass thing to do, unless you just want to have something to complain about later

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:46 am

Sept 30, 2008, 12:02pm, anne wrote:Count to 10 and call someone else where they'll match the price. Repeating the same actions when they don't work for you is, you know, a real dumbass thing to do, unless you just want to have something to complain about later Well...that's the only real problem that I've ever had with GC. I wish they had more products in the actual store but the one we have locally is pretty small. Also, the service is usually O.K. I know them and they know me so it's good to be on a first name basis. But this incident really was annoying, especially since I really needed the product.The product not working is certainly not their fault so I can't blame them for everything. And Cubase 4 at $269.00.....I don't see it being matched, primarily because GC just put its only competitor out of business here in town. So for music needs, GC is pretty much it. At least in my city.Jude 2
prez@4six3sound.com

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:28 am

PREZ, I say, if it's available at GC, and ya' just gotta' have it, then by all means...GO FOR IT! Least that's how I do it. Usually there are no regrets. I-468

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:18 am

Oct 3, 2008, 5:28am, ibanez468 wrote:PREZ, I say, if it's available at GC, and ya' just gotta' have it, then by all means...GO FOR IT! Least that's how I do it. Usually there are no regrets. I-468Welllll...I don't have to have it. It's just that it's on sale and....would be a cool upgrade and....dagnabbit. You spoiled all my fun. Now I'll have to think all reasonable knowing I don't need the thing.
prez@4six3sound.com

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:16 am

No, you misunderstand, I meant it in such a way that you would say: OK, yeah, that's a GOOD idea. Lemme' go and get this thing. It's on sale, I'd like ta' have it, so there's no excuse for me not ta' have it! See what I'm sayin'? Dude, just go get it, that's all I'm sayin'. You can never have enough musical toys, IMO!! I-468

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:36 am

Oct 4, 2008, 1:16pm, ibanez468 wrote:No, you misunderstand, I meant it in such a way that you would say: OK, yeah, that's a GOOD idea. Lemme' go and get this thing. It's on sale, I'd like ta' have it, so there's no excuse for me not ta' have it! See what I'm sayin'? Dude, just go get it, that's all I'm sayin'. You can never have enough musical toys, IMO!! I-468It's too late! Too late, I say! The damage has been done! I have already relegated myself to being without this fine piece of equipment thanks to you. Oh...the shame! The outright magnimity (nope...not a word) of it all! My career has been set back tenfold!Also....I think it's fair to mention my wife would probably kill me which is a real big motivator not to get it. Jude 2
prez@4six3sound.com

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:49 am

Oct 5, 2008, 5:36am, prez wrote:Also....I think it's fair to mention my wife would probably kill me which is a real big motivator not to get it. Understood! Quote:It's too late! Too late, I say! The damage has been done! I have already relegated myself to being without this fine piece of equipment thanks to you. OK, I'll get it then.