ProTools/Logic vs Cubase etc -

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: ProTools/Logic vs Cubase etc -

Post by slideboardouts » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:56 am

Sept 19, 2008, 10:45am, gunter wrote:Sept 18, 2008, 2:35pm, matto wrote:Haha...it puts you in the same boat as that "rank amateur" Hans Zimmer, among many others. I write music for a living and happen to use Cubase. I'm sure I could also make a living using Logic, or Sonar or DP...or even ProTools (but who wants to suffer... ).ProTools IS the standard for *recording* in professional studios (largely for historical reasons btw), but there is no professional standard for composing, and most professional composers use something other than ProTools to *compose* on.Don't listen to this fool...go write some music! mattoSo Matto that means you're an amateur! Chuckle, chuckle... Sorry but I had some Migro Ravioli today! The order of priorities is: Talented Performers with good material first, competent engineering skills a distant second, expensive outboard gear third and the choice of DAW dead last. But if someone wants to spend every 2-3 years a fortune and also 40% more for every Plug-In - ProTools is the way to go! Why every 2 or 3 years to spend a fortune? Because the computer industry changes the format every couple of years, and it's just not worth it. Apple has had NuBus, PCI, PCI 3 & 5, PCI on G5s, PCI-X, and PCI express on MacPro. Every time your PT cards got left behind! No thank you Digidesign/Gates/Jobs! That's why I see Pro Tools LE as a pitfall! IMHO - The best thing to get is Cubase, Performer or Logic and a powerful PC or Mac.Although Performer is heading to south. Unfortunately...Those are the most used other DAW's and this is important if you stuck and need help. Those are my thoughts exactly on the whole protools thing. PT just doesn't make much sense for the majority of composers. Its overpriced and its features (or lack there of) are just blah.I recently got Logic, and as a composer, for $500 I really can't see why anyone would get a different DAW (assuming you are mac based of course). PT just can't compete with it.-Steve

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Sept 19, 2008, 2:06pm, daniel481 wrote:"Those are my thoughts exactly on the whole protools thing. PT just doesn't make much sense for the majority of composers. Its overpriced and its features (or lack there of) are just blah."Stuff like that is silly to say, too. I use PT everyday to compose (on some pretty major projects!) and I love it. I know many other successful composers who do the same. It costs a bit more, but not really that much in the scheme of things. I also use Logic, and I love that, too. If I had to use Cubase or DP, I'd also figure that out. So, like other people have said, it just doesn't matter. Just make good music, and who cares!DanNot saying that PT can't be used for composing or that its not a good DAW. I think it is a fine DAW. All I was really saying is that compared to what other DAW's offer for the price, PT isn't all that attractive...especially for a composer on a budget. I haven't used the newest version of PT so maybe a lot has changed. But when I was first looking at DAWs to purchase, PT just didn't do enough and I wasn't a big fan of being locked into using their hardware. There is really only one thing about working in PT that always bothers me...whenever bouncing a track (say its 3:30), you have to sit there and listen to all 3:30 in real time while its exporting . Have they changed that? Or is there at least an option? -Steve

bigbluebarry
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bigbluebarry » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:33 am

Sept 19, 2008, 3:01pm, slideboardouts wrote:There is really only one thing about working in PT that always bothers me...whenever bouncing a track (say its 3:30), you have to sit there and listen to all 3:30 in real time while its exporting . Have they changed that? Or is there at least an option? -Steve Steve,There is a way to export your mix without having to do the bounce to disk option. I create a stereo audio track and then send all of my tracks into one stereo bus that I then route to the stereo audio track. I record my mix onto that track and then I go into the regions menu and select the "Export Regions as a file" option and it allows me to export that stereo track as a .wav file, or .mp3 or any other option that's available to you in the "Bounce to disk" option without having to do it in real time.- Big Blueps - While I am an avid supporter of Pro Tools, I agree with the majority of people here, it's not the DAW, but it's how you use it. If I had the time, I'd love to learn Cubase.
Imagine a steel cage match between Daughtry, Coldplay, Paramore and Demon Hunter with Joe Satriani as the referee...

http://www.taxi.com/bigbluebarry
http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.twitter.com/bigbluebarry

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:43 am

Sept 22, 2008, 10:33am, bigbluebarry wrote:Sept 19, 2008, 3:01pm, slideboardouts wrote:There is really only one thing about working in PT that always bothers me...whenever bouncing a track (say its 3:30), you have to sit there and listen to all 3:30 in real time while its exporting . Have they changed that? Or is there at least an option? -Steve Steve,There is a way to export your mix without having to do the bounce to disk option. I create a stereo audio track and then send all of my tracks into one stereo bus that I then route to the stereo audio track. I record my mix onto that track and then I go into the regions menu and select the "Export Regions as a file" option and it allows me to export that stereo track as a .wav file, or .mp3 or any other option that's available to you in the "Bounce to disk" option without having to do it in real time.- Big BlueHey Big Blue,How do you mix all your track from the bus outs onto the stereo audio track without having to listen to it in real time? Don't you still have to record the mix to the stereo track?I know that in Cubase when you bounce the mix, it does it instantly. For example; a 3 minute song will bounce down in about 40 seconds.Curious..

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 am

Sept 30, 2008, 8:40am, jpmuzic wrote:Hello members I see that folks have a Pro Tools and other DAW's fight going on here and that'a all good, but before any of these DAW's that you are talking about if you had purchase a Mac Plus about 20yrs ago there was something called Opcode that was ripping everyone's but and it was the bomb but I have Pro Tools as well as Logic I use more of Logic and the reason why I saw that someone had said that Logic is more for writers well if you dig more in to what you have if you have Logic will find out that it is more than just what you say it is If I had let you a track you could not tell the diffrence weather or not if I used Pro Tools ot Logic is all about how you use what you have but what Iwill say that Pro tools was the worst when it came down to the Midi it has gotten a bit better but you guys be Bless have a good day love the conversation blog here see ya in LA.Longest run on sentence I've ever seen in my life. Jude 2
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:20 pm

Sept 30, 2008, 9:32am, prez wrote:Sept 30, 2008, 8:40am, jpmuzic wrote:Hello members I see that folks have a Pro Tools and other DAW's fight going on here and that'a all good, but before any of these DAW's that you are talking about if you had purchase a Mac Plus about 20yrs ago there was something called Opcode that was ripping everyone's but and it was the bomb but I have Pro Tools as well as Logic I use more of Logic and the reason why I saw that someone had said that Logic is more for writers well if you dig more in to what you have if you have Logic will find out that it is more than just what you say it is If I had let you a track you could not tell the diffrence weather or not if I used Pro Tools ot Logic is all about how you use what you have but what Iwill say that Pro tools was the worst when it came down to the Midi it has gotten a bit better but you guys be Bless have a good day love the conversation blog here see ya in LA.Longest run on sentence I've ever seen in my life. Jude 2