Another little instrumental for comments

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

georginasaint
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Another little instrumental for comments

Post by georginasaint » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:20 am

Thank you Lydia, Bryan and Keith, for listening and posting. It's so interesting what people hear - and don't hear!Well I think I'm going to tweak where I think the timing isn't right and I think I'm going to raise the volume of the beginning just a tiny bit...Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it's so helpful!Georgie

ideascapes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ideascapes » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:34 am

Hey Georgie, I know I'm coming in late but still wanted to listen. Very nice piece. It is quiet. I turned up the volume to make sure that it wasn't due to distance (mic'ing or reverb). I got just a tiny bit of that and believe it's partly because you seem to be using a violin articulation (legato or other slow attack) that doesn't emphasize the bow sound (I'm hearing it in the violas, though). In any case, I don't think it matters much.The "timing glitch" Wig pointed out--I'm hearing it at about 0:45.5 on the harp only--I think the 2nd note of the phrase is slightly late.I enjoyed listening!Vince

georginasaint
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by georginasaint » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Many thanks Vince for your imput - better late than never!! I will certainly look at the timing there and sort it out. Perhaps just re-record that section. Yes it may well be the harp, I played it freely without any quantize so it's not perfect but at the same time, I don't want it overly perfect... but obviously not distracting... I will definately up the volume a bit too. Thanks again, Georgie

k o star
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by k o star » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Nice Orchestration... very good movie feel...Got the visual of someone running through the woods... lost & running...Love the big strings..-Kel
Keltrasonics Kellosphere & KO Quantum Leap =D

©2012, K. O. STAR (Kelvin) APRA- All Songs & Artwork Registered & Protected.
http://www.kostar8.com

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:50 am

Nice one Georgie!I found myself turning it up alot to hear it...if you have room, make sure you bring your volume up while preserving the dynamics (you don't have to compress it per se, but I would go to -1 or even -0.4 dB when mastering).Listen to your tune at a comfortable volume, then jump over to Bill G's latest tune and hit play on that: http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... =12708Bill uses compression, which is a bit more prevalent in his genre, of course.Good track!!
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.

georginasaint
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by georginasaint » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:58 am

Kel & Devin, thanks so much for your comments. Devin that's really good advice and tremendously helpful the way you've put it - thank you!I have been experimenting with it tonight - definately going to up the volume - I do want to preserve the dynamics as you say. Many thanks!Georgie

partyofone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by partyofone » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:05 am

Hi nice piece! I'm no expert to give much helpful advice except that it sounded good, have movement, and the sounds were pro. I'll 2nd the low volume. I'm sure you'll get some forwards with this!

georginasaint
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by georginasaint » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:56 am

Hi Patrick, thanks for your response. Yes the low volume is a constant comment so I will take care of that. Thanks for listening!Georgie

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Mar 24, 2009, 2:56pm, georginasaint wrote:Hi Patrick, thanks for your response. Yes the low volume is a constant comment so I will take care of that. Thanks for listening!GeorgieVery nice piece!Yes, it is a delicate piece to mix as you want to maintain the dynamics while you also want to get a nice steady listening volume.Compression can be tricky so use it sparingly on a piece like this.Best,Cisko