ONOFFON

Yep. Drop your super cool ego and beg for fans!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: ONOFFON

Post by onoffon » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:13 am

Before I post today's ONOFFON SSP, I wanted to say -Our band was just selected as February Featured Artist of the Month over at Unsigned Band Web -http://www.dillyempire.com/Thanks to Ron and the Unsigned Band Web for a great feature!Now - back to SSP -Kevin Kreiner of MP3critic.com (no longer on-line):ONOFFON - Your Mind 10 out of 10"The masters of eclectic are at it again. To follow up "Surrender Now," their debut album, ONOFFON have come up with another short hour of cosmic grooves. Beginning with lyrics like "I'm the string bender, and I'm the mind sender" and ending with a sung medley of the album's credits, "Your Mind" is just what it says on the cover. Think of the title track, which starts off with string special effects that summon up funk riffs in the back half of the song, as a signpost that reads "introspection of art rock meets the hip swinging sounds of jazz at the funk intersection straight ahead." Don't worry about packing, they've got it all here for you. As compared to their self titled debut album, this sophomore disc from the Los Angeles based trio of Don Lake, Von Babasin and Dave Goode is less varied, but musically even tighter than the original.There's still a lot of fun here, they've even thrown in some old fashioned swing in "Bebe's Song" for anyone who's been living in a cave for the last five years. Tracks like "Mardi Gras" keep you moving the way jazz ought to, with a single repeating motif woven through a musical narrative that sounds every bit as New Orleans as the title suggests. Of course, it wouldn't be an ONOFFON record without a few sudden changes, and the heavy guitar downbeats that open "Ocean's Cry" bring you from New Orleans to the rocky coasts of rock and then back to smooth sailing in one quick go. It's fun like playing football is, you get knocked on your ass and love every minute of it.Not to worry, guest Glen Garret will pick you up with his flute in the absolutely intriguing "Shadowglass." Look, they even turn the credits into a song, kind of like what They Might Be Giants did all the way back on Flood. I liked it then and I like it now. But the real reason to buy this record, as opposed to just taping it, is the liner notes. Each song's title is presented under a painting, the description of which will stand for the song as well. "Shadowglass," for instance, features a black and white distorted image of a woman, seen from the back, her head lost in shadows. The caption says, "A fluid seduction of signature, rhythm, and syncopation - a haunting vision in lyric melody and non-descript imagery." I couldn't have said it any better."We appreciate Kevin's opinion of both of our CDs - it helps make what we do worthwhile...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:49 am

To continue the international reviews, here's some SSP from Chile -Subterranea (Chile):http://www.geocities.com/subterranea_pr ... htmONOFFON - Surrender Now/Your Mindreview by Juan Barrenchea Herrera"Guau!...este sí que es un hallazgo. Quienes disfrutan de las complejas y atrevidas fórmulas del jazz rock o fusión, sin duda gustarán a ala primera oída este grupo norteamericano llamado Onoffon. "Surrender Now" y "Your Mind" son un cúmulo de armonías inquietas que te movilizan por el intrincado camino del jazz progresivo. La banda integrada por Don Lake (Guitarras/voz), Von Babasin (Bajo, teclados y voz) y Dave Goode (batería y percusión) posee un grado extremadamente acucioso en la construcción de cada uno de sus temas, llegando incluso a una precisión casi geométrica. La música de Onoffon presenta una fuerte influencia de múltiples corrientes musicales que hacen más rico aún su trasfondo, como lo son el Jazz de costa oeste de Estados Unidos de los años 50's, el influjo de grupos progresivos como ELP y Gentle Giant, y el espíritu de permanente búsqueda de músicos como Johnny y Edgar Winter. Como dato curioso podemos decir que la banda todavía posee su calidad de independiente, algo que parece ser muy propio de los grupos norteamericanos, pero que sin duda permiten un desarrollo más libre de las concepciones musicales. Recomendable."Muy bueno, Juan! Gracias!

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:52 am

Today's ONOFFON SSP comes to us from Sweden, who tend to really appreciate progressive music -First LightONOFFON - Your mindreview by Jocke Ohlund"Background: ONOFFON is a band based in California. "Your Mind" is their second release, their first, "Surrender Now", showcased a blend of various types of music skillfully played with a feeling of improvisation and a subtlety that made it an absolute joy to hear.The tracks: The first track, the title track, starts out with what sounds like someone playing on a couple of glasses and various other strange noises before the bass kicks in. Then there´s a flurry of voices and noises and some intense drumming before the singing/chanting starts. A very intense piece of music with some bebop and funk elements but I can´t really say what it sounds like, you´ll just have to hear for yourselves. One word: Intense. The second track is the instrumental "Shadowglass". Dominated by a flute this track brings Jethro Tull to mind and that´s not just because of the flute but also because of the fact that Glen Garrett actually plays it the way I would imagine Ian Anderson playing on a track like this. The track starts with the flute, an acoustic guitar and the bass doing most of the work but after about two minutes the electric guitar kicks in and continues the dreamy theme of the flute. A beautiful track!! "Alley Want" is next, it´s a bluesy track strenghtened further by the use of a harmonica. Very good vocals by Don Lake here and as on the previous track his guitarplaying is really good. This track has a very nice rhythm and supported also by the backing vocals of Stacey Baltes and Carole Couture-Olivieri it provides a really nice groove. Now if I was one to be easily surprised at the twist and turns of ONOFFON`s music I would have been surprised by this track, as it is though I just thought "ok, mambo". ONOFFON once again show their diversity by moving in to the field of latin-american music. This is a very good track and for me one of the best on the album. Glen Garrett really shines here, putting his soprano sax to great use. Dave Goode is also very good (as always!) and Von Babasin too. A great track with the individual skills of the bandmembers really showing. I remember playing this one when my brother dropped in for one of his surprise visits. After standing in the hallway for a minute he says "this sounds great, what a sound!" I looked at him rather surprised, saying "I didn´t know you liked this type of music"...? He says: "No I didn´t mean the music, I meant the sound, It´s so clear it even makes your crappy speakers sound good"... I hate to admit it but compared to his speakers mine are not very good but he´s right the sound quality of this recording is, as it was on the previous one, simply superb. Just when you thought it can´t get much better... it does. "Oceans Cry" starts off with an almost hypnotic rhythm which after just over two minutes changes in to one of the nicest grooves I´ve heard for a long time. Before once again returning to the more hypnothic lines created by the guitar, drums and bass. Then after about 4:20 the wonderfully flowing guitars return supported by a warm bluesy-sounding harmonica before once again returning to where it started. A great track, reminiscent of some on the tracks on the previous album, this could easily have been found on "Surrender Now". So far ONOFFON have stuck to their plan perfectly, a plan that seems to be not to have a plan but just play what comes naturally and what sounds good at the time. Trying to label their music would probably be a complete waste of time, (or a waste of labels) you can do that until your ears drop off and you still won´t be close. The sound so far is very much like the first but it´s more solid for some reason. Solid in the sense that it feels like they´ve managed to put together all the elements of their music, all the different types of music that they cover into what could be described as a typical ONOFFON sound (if indeed there is such a thing!?) "Bebe´s Song" is next, its an uncomplicated jazzy happy-go-lucky track. It´s the shortest track on the album and it feels more like a breather before the next track. It´s nothing special but not bad either. The seventh track "For Hell´s Sake" can be compared to "Alley Want" the third track. It´s has a bluesrock feel with the harmonica playing a prominent part. The tempo is a little higher than on "Alley Want" but I find it a little repetetive and not as good as "Alley Want". This however together with "Shadowglass", "You Know I Can´t" and "Mardi Gras" constitutes my favourite tracks on the album. A beautiful instrumental, "Opus" for me has it all really. Wonderful guitars, both acoustic and electric, supported by subdued drumming and bass playing adding to the beautiful atmosphere created. "You Know I Can´t" is a slow ballad superbly sung by Don Lake, supported by wonderfully crafted acoustic guitar playing and subtle bassplaying it has a very nice groove to it and a wonderful warm candlelight atmosphere. One of my favourites. Another beautiful track. The penultimate track, or should I say the last, has a raw exciting sound made even stronger by the vocals of Don Lake and Von Babasin. An "electric" track with a haunting sound and heavy raw guitars that kick in about three minutes into the song. Also with some nice instrumental interplays between the vocal parts. "Credits" is exactly what it says: it´s the credits list in the booklet read by the bandmembers with some really good laid back jazz rhythms playing in the background. After about half the song the credit reading stops and the music continues to close out the track.Conclusion: This is another very good album from ONOFFON, it´s even better than their first. The sound is very much the same as on the first but maybe more streamlined, not in a negative way mind you, but in the sense that the tracks seem to fit together a little bit better. While the music within the tracks so to speak, is as varied as ever the transitions between the tracks is not as abrupt as on "Surrender Now", and also on this album it´s easier to find tracks that resemble another, or a couple of other tracks on the album. It feels more "whole and complete" for lack of a better description.. The music feels just as improvised and is just as good as on the first album and the sound...well the quality of the sound is absolute top-class. It really helps bring the music alive and "alive" is perhaps the word that best sums up ONOFFON´s music. It really grabs hold of you and makes you listen... and when you do you will realize just as I do that this is absolutely great music performed by very skilled musicians, that have fun when they play too, and the music reflects that. Maybe that´s why the "alive" part comes across so strong. A very good album that is highly recommended for anyone into the jazzier elements of progressive rock or just into jazzfusion or bluesrock."It's a real pleasure to create music when it inspires people to say such things about what you do - thanks as always to Jocke for his kind words...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:44 am

Today's ONOFFON SSP has two reviews - one on each CD. This is what earBuzz.com has to say -ONOFFON - Surrender Nowhttp://www.earbuzz.com/onoffon/ earBuzz Rating: 7 out of 7"It's rare that you find the potentially mainstream popular music within the home of convincingly accomplished musicians - but we do here if only someone would take action. . . With the record buying public 13-16 it's no wonder that we have bands like Spice Girls and Ricky Martin leading the charts, and also why substantially talented artists like OnOffOn move to the internet and the independent music arenas to gain their audience. We surrender, and all illusions of mainstream music go by the way-side as this gathering of music masters and off-the-wall creativity play with our ears. They don't follow their own advise when they sing to 'release perfection' - this is about as perfect as you'll find. Jazz/Funk/Folk/kitchen sink - Surrender Now is a gem."ONOFFON - Your Mindhttp://www.earbuzz.com/onoffon/earBuzz Rating: 6.5 out of 7"OnOffOn's release Your Mind captures the essence of what makes music art. Their chosen mp3, Bebe's Song, is nowhere near representative of what to expect from this collection of pure and tasteful work. Acid Jazz and fusion, mixed with growling vocals or loungy crooning with extended chordings throughout. There's hardly a music lover who wouldn't start a collection - delightful. An added bonus is the gorgeous 12 panel 4-color sleeve, half of which is dedicated to La Galerie d'Onoffon - an erotic collection of color shaded female form and faces while the balance provides lyrics and intelligent narrative."I have always loved the quote "...we do here if only someone would take action..." - sums up the industry pretty well, if you know what I mean... Thanks to earBuzz for their insightful viewpoint...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:10 am

Today's ONOFFON SSP comes from a VERY well respected review site called The Jazz Review -The Jazz Review -Featured Artist: ONOFFONAlbum: Your MindRecord Label: ONOFFON PRODUCTIONSGenre: Fusion Jazzreview by Paula EdelsteinMusicians: Don Lake, guitars, vocals; Dave Goode, drums; Von Babasin, bass, background vocals; Glen Garrett, sax, alto flute; Carole Couture-Olivieri, bg vocals; Stacy Baltes, bg vocals"Von Babasin's groovin' bass provides the perfect undercurrent to Glen Garrett's fluid alto flute on "Shadowglass," a signature, rhythmic syncopated vision of lyric melody and imagery. The California-based progressive rock and jazz band, Onoffon, is a metaphoric companion, fused in melodic symmetry consisting of Dave Goode on drums, Don Lake on guitars, harmonica, vocals, keyboards, Glen Garrett on soprano sax and Von Babasin on bass and background vocals. YOUR MIND is 11 songs that portray the Latin influence, surrealistic hues and the talents of a group posed on the edge of stardom. Babasin holds down a tight rhythmic set on "Mardi Gras," again, complementing the soprano sax of Glen Garrett's, in this uptempo crowd pleaser. The sax solo makes this piece exciting with Garrett's top to bottom command of his instrument and the percussion attacks of Dave Goode. "Bebe's Song" features Babasin's vocal prowess in a lively Harry Connick, Jr.-style piece with backing vocals by Stacey Baltes and Carole Couture-Olivieri. YOUR MIND features some good tunes on this set from Onoffon, an exciting band and one to watch for in the new century. Rating: Four Stars"It doesn't get much better than that - thanks to Paula for her most excellent comments...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:34 am

Another excellent site that is gone but not forgotten, The Incredibly Small Concert Hall, provided this wonderful review of our first CD -Review by The Poobah at The Incredibly Small Concert HallONOFFONSurrender Now"Rocketing out of Los Angeles into the musical universe, God speed, ONOFFON. This threesome of top flight musicians, like so many other groups these days, offer so many integrated styles of music in their work, it's hard to pin a label on them. You could call this music Progressive-Rock-Jazz-Funk-Fusion, but let's just say, look for them under White Hot recordings. Their debut album "Surrender Now", is pure class from beginning to end. The actual members are Von Babasin: Bass & Keys, Don Lake: Guitar, Harmonica & Lead Vocals and Dave Goode: Percussion. On this recording, they're joined by a bunch of their studio buddies, including the silken voice of Lisa Panzerella on the title tune, and notable tenor sax man Glen Garrett on "Weekend in Montreal." That particular tune I had to listen to three times in a row before I went on to the rest of the album. As Mahler would be considered classical music for the ears of classical musicians, ONOFFON would be likewise for the ears of contemporary musicians. If that sounds like a very high compliment it is, they've earned it. This group soars through the musical sky like few have, or can, or will."To be considered as influential as Mahler is an absolute humbling comparison to any musician - it is the ultimate compliment and one I will always remember. Thanks Poobah!!!!

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:15 am

To start today's ONOFFON SSP, I wanted to provide a link to a page where I archived the front page of Mp3.com for February 3-4, 2003, when they decided to feature our band - a self produced jazz rock band - with a pic of our second CD cover, a brief review, and a direct link to our song, "Mardi Gras" - sad to see Mp3.com go -http://www.onoffon.com/feature.htmlNow, back to our regular scheduled SSP - OmniaMusic featured our song, "Opus" as a track of the month and kept the page live - ONOFFON's "Opus" - OmniaMusic's Hidden Treasure Featurehttp://www.omnia-music.co.uk/music_featured.html"So, why is this track a winner? In answering this question I'd be tempted to say, 'because these guys know how to PLAY those guitars!', and subsequently start making ridiculous air-guitar gestures. Yes, I'm a sucker for guitars and this track is the musical equivalent of an erotic drama for guitar lovers. But it's not just the performance that gives this track that special edge making it worthy of mention, it is also the vision of what the artists are trying to create with this endeavour. The band have categorized this as 'New Age', which to me has always been a very vague genre used to describe music that is difficult to categorize. It is definitely experimental - not in any brash or bizarre way, but in as much as it tries to extend beyond the rules of both its genre and its instruments. The overall feel, however, is evocative of an ex-jazz player, pining the loss of passion in today's music and expressing his sorrow through the strings of a guitar. It is pensive, mournful, and quite simply beautiful. Hats off to the ONOFFON guys for daring to indulge, in this day of plastic musical conformity."THAT'S what we're talking about!!!!! "In this day of plastic musical conformity." Thanks to OmniaMusic for such a great review of "Opus"! 

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:18 am

ONOFFON's SSP for today comes from a rather respected music review site called Gods Of Music - reviewing most popular song, "Mardi Gras" - it went to #1 in Latin Jazz six different times at Mp3.com for a total of 73 days and peaked at #15 on their overall Top 40 next to Madonna, Dave Matthews and Faith Hill -GODS OF MUSIC REVIEWS:ONOFFON - "Mardi Gras"http://www.godsofmusic.com/?rID=4750reviewed by Peter LaudaRating: 9.0"Every once in a while if you're lucky, you find an artist that you have never heard of before that speaks a language you understand. With the song "Mardi Gras", OnOffOn has reminded me of this.The track is a melange of straight-ahead jazz, Latin jazz, and a little fusion thrown in just for additional spice. At 4:02 the tune wanders through a very tastefully played melody on an alto sax with supporting harmony from an acoustic guitar. The drums are laid back yet all over the place. The percussionist shows a great rhythmic grasp and quite a captivating style as the beat is on, then off, then on, etc. You get the idea. The parts combine into a fluid conglomeration of expression. There is a liveliness to the track that gets you into the "I can't help feeling happy" frame of, mind. The bass work provides the solid foundation necessary to support the free ranging melody and harmony instruments.If I have any criticism it is that there is not enough attention given to the soloists. I would have liked to hear the guitar play a chorus of solo in addition to the intro guitar work. However, this most likely is due to the fact that I listen from a guitarists perspective. Additionally the bass could be more aggressive.The saxophone is the focal point of the track. This fellow can really play. I am reminded of early work from Spyro Gyra. The saxophonist could be a doppleganger for Jay Beckenstein in that time frame.My advice to the artist is to give equal time to all the members with regards to soloing. Other than that, I can't find any fault with this piece. In fact, I am adding it to my personal play-list.If you are a fan of jazz you will love this track. If you like a good, fun, and inspirational song in general, you should also check it out. I bet you'll like it too."Any reference to Spyro Gyra is such an extreme compliment, I can't thank Mr. Lauda enough for his comments...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:18 am

In this day and age of the internet, many reviews are given on individual tracks, rather than the entire CD. It's too bad in the respect that we create a collection of tunes that compliment one another and play in an order that takes the listener on a journey -That being said, here's today's ONOFFON SSP on selected tracks avaiable for download at various sites in cyberspace -The Wizard's "Pick of the Week" at Renegade Reviews:ONOFFON"Listened to 'Remember Only', 'Please Baby Please', 'Bebe's Song', 'Surrender Now', 'Inside My Soul', 'Mardi Gras'. An eclectic mix that ranges from almost ambient to jazzy blues. 'Please Baby Please' just plain kicks ass. It sounds like the drummer is just slapin his knees, the vocal is killer. Jazzy style walkin bass line. I'd go see these guys live just listenin' to this one tune. 'Bebe's Song' sounds like a 40s big band jazz vocal with backup. Cool vibes and all, brushy snare, walkin bebop bass line. 'Surrender Now' more of a rock/jazz fusion tune with a smokin chromatic harp. This has more of a King Crimson, early Brian Auger feel with more of a 90s edgy feel. I like this song a lot. Unusual harmonies that you don't get much opportunity to hear. You want to hear some melodic cool latin jazz? They got that too. 'Mardi Gras' is another kick ass tune with killer sax. Overall, an extremely talented trio that can probably play any style jazz they want. All of their tunes are melodic, well-written, well-produced. The singing is exceptional, musicianship is in a class of it's own. I really don't know why you guys aren't on some world tour right now. In Europe they would go nuts for your stuff. Hell, I go nuts for your stuff. Would I buy this CD? Not only would I buy the CD, but I would drive a couple hours just to see them play live. If you ever swing through the midwest, let us know. My pick for the week."Thanks to the Wizard!!!!!

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:02 am

Here's today's ONOFFON SSP -Pure ReviewsONOFFON - Various materialreviewed by Frank Cotolo - "Any group that has the guts to list Aaron Copland as an influence deserves intimate attention. ONOFFON got mine. This group deals with a lot of styles but comes from it from a jazz perspective. Jazz. Hey, jazz is melody or melodies, blended and concocted and woven and spun into a feel. ONOFFON cooks it up in terrific tunes like 'Mardi Gras,' which made me wanna sit back with a bourbon and groove.In 'Please Baby Please', they sing clean, intoxicating harmonies that swim inside you. It is all so good that you never think about length. That is music worth listening to; it just is and while it is, you are with it, in it.Aaron Copland took classical music to a modern plateau and yet never sabotaged its integrity. ONOFFON does the same with jazz, playing like jazz musicians should while reaching out and grabbing their own vibes."We deeply appreciate what Mr. Cotolo heard in our music...