Hello Taxi Riders. I need FANS BAD.

Yep. Drop your super cool ego and beg for fans!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Hello Taxi Riders. I need FANS BAD.

Post by mazz » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:10 pm

There's a new show on TNT called "Saving Grace" with Holly Hunter. I saw a promo for the show today that had a very cool "film trailer-esque" version (as in the current style of big pounding drums) of Swing Low Sweet Chariot with a solo voice over the drums.(They may be looking for these hyms for this show, just a wild guess, don't quote me on it, I have no inside info at all.)Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:59 pm

Quote:johnnydean1OK, I'll consider trashing it. you may be right.it may not be good at all.credentials? I was not asking for any. I just wanted to hear your work to see what your musical taste was like or your creative level.I'm not bashing you, I'm just learning that we all have many talents and ways ofshowing them. I figure if you are on Taxi, you must have music you have writtenright? I may be wrong.jaxsn,you have a really good attitude. I think you have a great voice and a lot of talent.Just because I didn't like Swing Low means I didn't like Swing Low.It doesn't mean I wouldn't like every other thing you might have done but I only listened to Swing Low.I don't post my music here because I don't want to be in the (if you like my music I will like yours)position.Good luck.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:35 pm

Why, here's the hearts and flowers now.

jaxsn
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jaxsn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:06 am

horacejesse?I hear ya. "Why, here's the hearts and flowers now."even after most killers murder a person, some bring flowers to the funeral.at least I'm alive to read these post.Thanks to johnnydean1, your last post did make me feel better.I was not feeling distraught, just honestly concerned.I am a pusher for originality, which is very very hard to find these days and days of past. this is why I posted here, I figured people would appreciate each other's creative talent.As a business man, my clients confirm my value, which is very important to mebecause I've grown accustomed to high taste, and I love playing bass and creating music in other words I don't want to do anything else, and I thank God I can make a living at this.Being online before online even got popular (ya'll remember the 28.8k modems and compuserve was just a thought? I started young!) My good cdbaby sales, website clients across the country etc. blah, blah, blahthat is my true confirmation.My point is, this web page is good for me to listen to others that don't know me,and maybe I can contribute my experience to others as well.johnnydean1, I was upset (it was a pride thing) but I chose to keep the peace, attacks are pointless, over personal taste. As you stated, you have the right to your opinion, and honestly, I thank you for your honestly.it may have been the best post on this issue of this song, yet.I really want to hear your music. I won't bash, i will listen and give my own honest thoughts.dgolding?I'm wit u man, I feel the same way. thanks for the look out by taking the time in posting.mazz?I am going to follow up on this info, you are awesome.After all this, It would be wild if this work got giant attention and picked up.remember, I have a studio, thank God because I am not perfect. So like the great encourager on this issue (Hummingbird) said "It is definitely different & creative"this is exactly what I was going for, but if need be, I can make adjustments-----------------------------------------------------------Maybe I missed the boat on this one, but I really don't think so. See my understanding of the listing was:Original versions of the Traditional/Public Domain spiritual hymn/song "SWING LOW, SWEET CHARIOT" are needed......... Both VOCAL and INSTRUMENTAL versions are OK. A cappella versions are fine as well.Here is the kicker..... They're open to a fairly wide variety of instrumentation, BUT, keep it as close to a traditional arrangement as possible.They're not seeking Heavy Metal or Electronica versions, for example. this makes me think they are NOT looking for traditional versions, They are looking for ANY OTHER CREATIVE STYLE, as long as it is NOT Heavy Metal or Electronica versionsBelieve me I am not venting, I just wanted to clarify my understanding of the post. trust me the extra money ($120 for me) to join dispatch, plus $5 could go in gas, If Taxi is not making accurate postings, just to pass on my submissions.I grew up in church, still go - hard-coremy daddy sing this all my life. it would have been very quick and easy to sing it the traditional way if I wanted to, or if they asked.either way I'm gonna work on this version for prospects outside Taxi, if they pass on it.I have to get some work done, thanks so much everyone.if you are in CT visit me.post more, I'm starting to like you all as my new friends.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:49 am

Quote:Maybe I missed the boat on this one, but I really don't think so. See my understanding of the listing was:Original versions of the Traditional/Public Domain spiritual hymn/song "SWING LOW, SWEET CHARIOT" are needed......... Both VOCAL and INSTRUMENTAL versions are OK. A cappella versions are fine as well.Here is the kicker..... They're open to a fairly wide variety of instrumentation, BUT, keep it as close to a traditional arrangement as possible.They're not seeking Heavy Metal or Electronica versions, for example. this makes me think they are NOT looking for traditional versions, They are looking for ANY OTHER CREATIVE STYLE, as long as it is NOT Heavy Metal or Electronica versionsjaxsn,One of the keys to Taxi forward success is learning to read the listings, and not read INTO the listings. You highlighted what was important to your understanding, but are ignoring or misunderstanding one of the key phrases.keep it as close to a traditional arrangementIMHO a traditional arrangement has a familiar song structure, melody and chord structure -- not a total reworking of the melody, or a funky chord re-arrangement. Although it does seem like they would be open to perhaps new age, or jazz instrumentation--- but they want the song to sound like the song.Welcome aboard. Sorry for the rough ride in my soapbox at the start of the trip Aub

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:10 am

Quote:jaxsn,you have a really good attitude. JD's entitled to his opinion of your version, as everyone else is. All we think we know about JD, is that he's a bassist. JD, the enigma that he/she is, probably has reasons for keeping his indentity and music private. I thought your version of Swing Low, was both inspiring, and a little unfocused. It helped me imagine a new version as well. Your site, while very slow to load, is full of wonderful intentions and messages. but when you start a thread with I NEED FANS BAD - well personally, it caught me with the same attitude that so many newcomers (such as myself), display. like - "I'm here now, so everyone stop what you're doing and listen to me, me, me." So it took a while for me to get around to checking you out. I'm glad I finally did. So welcome to Taxi. You have passed my audition, to quote the famous guy. And yeah, I have a 5 yr old son named Jackson. You don't actually need anyone from the Taxi forum to be your fans. Only the Taxi screeners! steve

jaxsn
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jaxsn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:34 am

Aub Delane?I understand your point, like I said it's a matter of opinion / creative taste. I contemporized the music but kept the vocalmelody pretty much in the traditional image just performed soulfuly. now trust me, the vocal melody could be far from the traditional melody.anyway I will start working on another song til I hear info on this

jaxsn
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jaxsn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:40 am

steve à gilbert?Thanks man, and you are right i just need to focus on the screeners when it comes to the bottom line.IMO, your word is the last one this sweet low.now we can all do what we do..... what ever it is we do.I'll do music.I'll lighten up the slowness on the site, thanks.

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:42 am

[quote author=jaxsn board=promotion thread=1187751960 post=1188322833[/quote]Nope. In my family I'm known as the one who always gets the last word in and I'd hate to break with tradition now As an aside, I thought all the singers had great voices. The female voice in particluar.Liam

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:13 am

Listing read:Original versions of the Traditional/Public Domain spiritual hymn/song "SWING LOW, SWEET CHARIOT" are needed by a Music Library/Publisher with many high-level network contacts and TAXI song placements (mostly network TV shows). Original versions = original arrangements, not covers of versions that other people have recorded.Both VOCAL and INSTRUMENTAL versions are OK. A cappella versions are fine as well. They're open to a fairly wide variety of instrumentation, but keep it as close to a traditional arrangement as possible. They're not seeking Heavy Metal or Electronica versions, for example. = wide variety of instrumentation means they are open to hearing a variety of instrumental sounds playing the melody and/or background musicbut keep it as close to a traditional arrangement as possible= means they still want it to sound like it would be played/sung in a church or at a funeral.Great performances are essential. Broadcast quality only.= Pretty common criteria for film/tv.That's my take on it. Hope it helps. If at any time you are wondering about the criteria of any listing, post it up in Dispatch or Listings and ask for clarification. Interpreting the listings effectively & submitting appropriately is crucial to your success.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website