Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

Post by ernstinen » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:23 pm

Quote:I love 'Don't pass me by'! The naivety of it gives it a lot of charm in my opinion. I love Ringo's childlike approach to singing and the violin is inspired. And it's got the best drum sound on the album! I still don't see any relationship between 'Plastic Ono' and 'Nevermind'. Put simply, Nirvana's product was for petulant teenagers and never really stepped beyond those boundaries into meaning anything worthwhile or lasting. 'Mother' on the other hand, is something else entirely. No comparison IMO. What about best solo album by a Beatle? I'd nominate All Things Must Pass, with Plastic Ono a respectable second. Well, Mani, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree (and I'm no teenager --- far from it!) You don't like "Revolution No. 9" and I think it's brilliant. It was very jarring when I was a kid, but it grows on me with every listen.Anyway, other than John's 1st, I really like Paul's "Ram", maybe alot more now than when I was younger. It has such warmth and creativity. "Dear Boy" rivals anything Brian Wilson ever did. And "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" is a masterpiece.I also really like "Band On The Run." Sure, the lyrics don't make much sense in typical Paulie style, but it sure rocks and is a lot of fun! BTW, if you've never seen McCartney live, he's still kicking butt. Rumors have him playing the Super Bowl halftime a month from now.Ern

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:35 am

ok..now that we've officially gotten of the Peppers subject..I would have to say that the Help! album is what got me started in music, along with Badfinger's "day after day".

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:58 am

OK, we are off the subject... As long as we are, let's do a voting thing... List your top 3 Beatles songs (no order) and I'll compile the results into the top vote getters... Maybe we'll create our own desert island Beatles album... the "must have" if you are stranded on a desert island with only 1 Beatles CD available... Casey

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:30 am

As a mere lad I watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan and decided I was going to be a Beatle when I grew up, I even started working on my English accent . The music was different from anything I'd ever heard (the screaming ladies were quite an inspiration too ). As hard as it is to pick three I'd have to go with some of the more traditional style of hits as being the most influential to me, everytime I hear one of them it reminds me of why I play guitar.Don"t Let Me DownI Want YouRock And Roll MusicAnd right now I'm mad at Casey for making me pick only three BTW: I had to give up on the English accent, it seems there's no southern drawl in England. Anybody still have a Beatle wig?
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:00 am

Drew...you and I could be brothers (I hope you can take that as a compliment) I was gonna be the fifth Beatle till those dang women broke up our band! My faves (today):SomethingHere comes the sunLet it beOh...and if my wife can't be on the island...I'll go with Mary Ann...or Jeannie!

katy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by katy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:11 am

Yup... there's a Beatle wig in our studio. SometimesMrs. Jimi even wears it recording. She looks especiallyhot when she's wearing both a Beatles wig and acowboy hat... BlackbirdImagineYesterday

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:19 am

OK Drew, pick 5... Everyone feel free to edit their posts for 5 picks...Rock N Roll Music... That's a cover of a Chuck Berry tune... I guess covers are ok in the voting... What you'all think?Mary Ann is already my date for the trip to the island. She's taken... Casey

melvis

Post by melvis » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:35 am

1. Lucy In The Sky2. Revolution3. Hey Jude4. I Am The Walrus5. BlackbirdYeahhh...Hawww...MELVIS

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:35 am

It's even tough to limit it to five... six...Hide Your Love AwayImagineCan't Buy Me LoveYesterdayEight Days a WeekHard Day's Night

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:37 am

I give up. I just can't do it !